EPL Predictions 2019: Manchester United vs Liverpool
October 20, 2019,
Old Trafford, Manchester
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Manchester United welcome Liverpool to Old Trafford aiming for only a third win in eight matches but with a good record against the top teams this English Premier League.
The Red Devils have two wins and one draw versus sides who begin Matchweek 9 in the top five, so Jurgen Klopp’s leaders must be at the top of their game to extend their perfect start and equal Manchester City’s top-flight record of 18 consecutive victories.
Meanwhile, Liverpool are playing with a purpose this season and have managed to win even those games where they weren’t at their best.
Manchester United’s performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Goalkeeper David De Gea (groin) and midfielder Paul Pogba (ankle) are set to miss the game through injury. Jesse Lingard (hamstring) is also a doubt.
However, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed he hopes to welcome back Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Anthony Martial.
Luke Shaw is losing his race to prove his fitness in time, which will likely see Ashley Young start at left-back. Axel Tuanzebe is also an option if Victor Lindelof, who has recovered from a back injury, is preferred at centre-back.
Daniel James suffered a head injury for Wales during the international break and may need assessment from United’s medical staff ahead of Sunday’s match.
Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard, Eric Bailly, Diogo Dalot and Timothy Fosu-Mensah are other injury concerns for Solskjaer.
United will likely opt for a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Predicted line-up: Sergio Romero; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Ashley Young; Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic; Daniel James, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford; Anthony Martial.
Liverpool’s performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Alisson is ready to make his comeback after missing last 11 games through injury. Despite Adrian’s good performances, Alisson is expected straight back in the starting XI here.
Joel Matip is also back in full training and should be fine to start at Old Trafford, while Trent Alexander-Arnold was an unused substitute in both of England’s matches during the break and will be fresh here.
Mohamed Salah escaped serious injury in Liverpool’s win over Leicester before the international break but is still rated as a doubt heading into Sunday’s match.
Predicted lineup: Alisson; Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joel Matip, Virgil Van Dijk, Andrew Robertson; Jordan Henderson, Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum; Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- Man Utd are unbeaten in their last five home league meetings with Liverpool, of which they have won three. It is their longest run without defeat against the Reds at Old Trafford since a sequence of 10 between February 1991 and March 2000.
- A third of Marcus Rashford’s 30 Premier League goals have been against sides who finished last season’s top six. United have not been so bad at home despite their struggles and should be able to score.
- Mohamed Salah has failed to score or assist a goal in his four Premier League appearances against Man Utd, who are the only team he has faced more than once without registering a single goal involvement. However, it’s just a matter of time before he breaks the drought.
- United have won 28 and lost just 14 of the 54 head to head clashes in the league but the tide is changing its direction.
- Four of the last 6 Premier League meetings between the sides have ended in a draw. Though it might seem too much, don’t write the Red Devils off, as they have shown against Chelsea and Arsenal this season.
- Manchester United have taken more penalties against Liverpool than any other side in the Premier League- 10, and given the role of VAR and the fact that it is the most Liverpool have faced against a single opposition, Virgil van Dijk and company might end up giving Marcus Rashford an opportunity to score.
- Liverpool have won their last 17 English Premier League matches. A trip to Manchester is always tricky, irrespective of the form of the Red Devils.
- Liverpool have scored at least 2 goals in 16 of their last 17 Premier League matches and might end up doing so again.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Man Utd’s last 5 Premier League games and over 2.5 goals scored in 7 of Liverpool’s last 8 such games. At the moment, it seems like the Reds’ streak will reign supreme.
- Aston Villa’s John McGinn (72) is the only central midfielder in the Premier League who has won more duels this season than Scott McTominay (66).
- Only Kevin De Bruyne (29) has created more chances in the Premier League this season than Trent Alexander-Arnold (28). Expect Alexander-Arnold to continue his attacking threat.