Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) Prediction:Rajshahi Royals vs Chattogram Challengers, Qualifier 2
January 15, 2020, Shere Bangla National Stadium, Dhaka
Rajshahi Royals and Chattogram Challengers take on each other in the 2nd qualifier of BPL 2019-20 on Wednesday as they seek to join Khulna Tigers in the final. Both the teams are coming on the back of contrasting results.
While a top 2 finish meant Rajshahi Royals get a 2nd shot at final after losing to Khulna Tigers in qualifier 1, Chattogram Challengers will have to win their 2nd successive play-off game if they have to fight for the BPL 2019-20 title.
The 2 sides take on each other for the 3rd time in a week. They shared spoils in their first 2 meetings.
Rajshahi Royals performance in BPL 2019-20:
Rajshahi Royals succumbed under the pressure of a playoff game as they were bundled out while chasing a tricky target of 159 against Khulna Tigers in qualifier 1. Mohammad Irfan was excellent with the ball as he gave away just 13 runs and picked up 2 wickets in his 4 overs. However, a mediocre performance from others allowed Tigers to post 158/3.
It was an achievable target but the batsmen couldn’t take the pressure of chase in a high-tension game. Barring experience campaigner Shoaib Malik, no other batsman could get going as they failed by 27 runs. Malik was the lone fighter and scored 80 off 50. He hit 10 fours and 4 sixes.
The batsman would be eager to fight back after 7 of them failed to score in double digit and 2 scored 11.
Rajshahi Royals predicted XI:
Liton Das (wk), Afif Hossain, Shoaib Malik, Ravi Bopara, Andre Russell (c), Alok Kapali, Farhad Reza, Taijul Islam, Kamrul Islam, Abu Jayed, Mohammad Irfan.
Chattogram Challengers performance in BPL 2019-20:
It seems Chattogram Challengers had saved their best game for the most important moment. After losing their last league game against Rajshahi Royals, the Challengers played clinical game against Dhaka Platoon to storm into the 2nd qualifier.
They restricted the Platoon batsmen to just 144, with only 3 Dhaka players scoring in double digit before chasing down the target with 7 wickets and 14 balls in hand. Rayad Emrit picked up 3 wickets and Nasum Ahmed and Rubel Hossain picked up 2 wickets each before all the batsmen contributed with the bat.
After a clinical performance they are unlikely to change their winning combination.
Chattogram Challengers predicted XI:
Chris Gayle, Imrul Kayes, Mahmudullah (c), Chadwick Walton, Nurul Hasan (wk), Asela Gunaratne, Ziaur Rahman, Rayad Emrit, Rubel Hossain, Nasum Ahmed, Mehedi Hasan Rana
Of the last 10 games played at the venue, 5 teams have won batting first while the other 5 have won chasing.
However, the pressure of a knock out game will also be there.
During the 8 games played in the 2nd phase of the tournament at the venue, 163 was the average 1st inning score.
Prediction:Rajshahi Royals vs Chattogram Challengers, Qualifier 2
- Rajshahi Royals have lost 4 of their last 7 games. Meanwhile, Chattogram Challengers have won 4 of their last 7 games.
- Chattogram’s Imrul Kayes has an opportunity to top the leading run-scorer of the season chart. He is just 33 runs behind Khulna Tigers’ Mushfiqur Rahim and 21 behind Khulna’s Rilee Rossouw, with Cumilla Warriors’ Dawid Malan just 7 runs clear.
- Royals’ Shoaib Malik is also in the list. He is just 5 behind Imrul Kayes and 38 behind Mushfiqur.
- Challengers’ Rubel Hossain is just 2 wickets behind leading wicket-taker, Rangpur Rangers’ Mustafizur Rahman. Rangers are out of the tournament which means Rubel has a serious chance of finishing as the top wicket-takers. Howeevr, he is surrounded by 3 Khulna Tigers’ bowlers.
- Barring the last game, it was the Royals’ bowlers who generally cost them the game. Andre Russell is their top wicket-taker with just 11 wickets, 13th in the overall list.
- Imrul Kayes has scored four 50+ scores in BPL 2019-20 – join most. He has a chance of breaking free at the top. He is also the joint most six hitter, at 22 and can break free here as well.