Big Bash League Predictions: Adelaide Strikers vs Melbourne Stars
December 23, 2019, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Adelaide Strikers host table toppers Melbourne Stars in the 48th match of Big Bash 2019-20 on Wednesday as they look to push for a play-off berth. The Strikers are currently placed 3rd in the table with 13 points from 11 games. They are coming on the back of a 10-run win over Hobart Hurricanes.
Meanwhile, Melbourne Stars are already assured of topping the table. They have 20 points from 12 games and would like to return to winning ways following their loss to Sydney Sixers and get the momentum ahead of the vital phase of the tournament.
The Strikers had defeated Stars by 4 runs when these 2 sides had met earlier in the tournament.
Adelaide Strikers performance in Big Bash League:
Alex Carey is expected to return now that Australia have returned home following their series against India. Harry Nielsen might thus lose his place after failing in the last game against the Hurricanes.
Philip Salt scored just 13 runs in the last game and would be eager to return to winning ways having scored 67 in the game against Brisbane Heat.
Travis Head led from the front with 40-ball 79 and Jonathan Wells, who had scored 68 runs when these 2 sides had last met, added 45.
Wes Agar picked up 4 wickets in the last game while Peter Sidle, who had picked 3 wickets when these 2 sides met last time, picked up 1 for 26 in 4 overs.
Adelaide Strikers predicted XI:
Peter Siddle, Michael Neser, Jonathan Wells, Travis Head (c), Matthew Short, Alex Carey(wk), Philip Salt, Rashid Khan, Liam O Connor, Jake Weatherald, Wes Agar
Melbourne Stars performance in Big Bash League:
Melbourne Stars are coming on the back of a defeat against Sydney Sixers which ended their 8-game winning streak.
In a game reduced to 14 overs a side, their bowler had no answer to an onslaught by Moises Henriques, who scored 72 off just 31 balls.
The Stars bowlers were taken around the park with Lance Morris conceding 38 in his 2 overs and Sandeep Lamichhane also conceding the same amount of runs, only to be saved blushes by 2 wickets.
However, Marcus Stoinis continued to add to his tally, scoring 62 after failing in the game before that. Hilton Cartwright flopped after scoring a half-century in the previous game.
They have not clicked together in the last few games, even though they managed to win, and would like to have a complete performance ahead of the play-offs.
Adam Zampa and Peter Handscomb are likely to return.
Melbourne Stars predicted XI:
Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell (c), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Daniel Worrall, Hilton Cartwright, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa, Peter Handscomb(wk), Sandeep Lamichhane, Clint Hinchliffe, Lance Morris
Adelaide Strikers vs Melbourne Stars Predictions
- 344 runs were scored the last time these 2 sides met. 12 sixes were hit in that game.
- Strikers have won 3 of their last 4 games after losing 3 of the 4 games before that.
- Stars saw their 8-game winning run end in their last game against Sydney Sixers.
- Marcus Stoinis leads the batting chart with 585 runs. He averages 73 and has hit 23 sixes – more than any other batsman, 4 ahead of his teammate Glen Maxwell, who has scored 353 runs so far.
- Jonathan Wells is Strikers’ highest run getter, overall 7th best, with 351 runs. Jake Weatherald is next with 337 runs.
- Stars’ Haris Rauf has taken 16 wickets, 4 less than leader Daniel Sams. Sandeep Lamichhane is next with 14 wickets.
- Strikers’ Rashid Khan also has 16 wickets.