Bangladesh Premier League Prediction (BPL 2019): Chattogram Challengers vs Sylhet Thunder
December 11, 2019
Shere Bangla National Stadium, Dhaka
Chittagong Vikings, rechristened to Chattogram Challengers, will face Sylhet Thunder in the first match of the Bangladesh Premier League 2019-20. Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif performed at the opening ceremony of the BPL 7 to give the tournament a flying start.
However, the onus is now on Chattogram Challengers and Sylhet Thunder to keep that momentum going on.
Chattogram Challengers’s performance in BPL 2019:
Chattogram Challengers, after being renamed, come into the BPL 2019-20 with fresh hopes of improving their performance in the BPL 2019. They have only managed to finish better than fourth on one occasion in the 6 editions. Their best performance was a runner-up finish 6 yrs ago.
The Challengers have a trio of strong local players in Mahmudullah, Imrul Kayes and Rubel Hossain but their big name signing was Chris Gayle who has an outstanding record in their competition. However, Gayle will only be available in the second half of the tournament when he will hopefully have recovered from a hamstring strain.
The ongoing India vs West Indies series means, the Challengers are without Kesrick Williams and Lendl Simmons. However, they have stars like Imad Wasim, Chadwick Walton, Rayad Emrit and Avishka Fernando in their line-up against Chattogram Challengers vs Sylhet Thunder.
Sylhet Thunder’s performance in BPL 2019:
Sylhet Thunder too have a similar history. Their best finish was a 3rd place finish in the same yr when the Challengers finished runners-up- BPL 2013. Coach Herschelle Gibbs has a big task of improving a team that has the lowest win ratio of any side in the tournament’s history – 40.35%.
Similar to the Challengers, the Thunder spent a chunk of their budget in West Indian stars and while Sherfane Rutherford and Sheldon Cottrell are on international duty, they can count on Johnson Charles and Andre Fletcher for some fireworks with the bat and Krishmar Santokie with the ball.
They have a solid core of local talent also with Mohammad Mithun, Mosaddek Hossain and Nazmul Islam their key players but they will rely heavily on their West Indians for their batting in what once again looks like one of the weaker squads in the tournament.
Chattogram Challengers vs Sylhet Thunder Predicted Line-up:
Imrul Kayes, Avishka Fernando, Mahmudullah(c), Ryan Burl, Rayad Emrit, Nasir Hossain, Imad Wasim, Rubel Hossain, Chadwick Walton(w), Muktar Ali.
Johnson Charles, Rony Talukdar, Mohammad Mithun(w/c), Nayeem Hasan, Sherfane Rutherford, Mosaddek Hossain, Sohag Gazi, Jeevan Mendis, Ebadot Hossain, Ruyel Miah, Monir Hossain.
Pitch Report for today's BPL:
144 domestic T20 games have been played at Shere Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka.
Teams batting first have won 69 while the chasing team have won 74 games.
Average first innings score is 147.
Chattogram Challengers vs Sylhet Thunder: Today's Match Prediction
- Chattogram Challengers (formerly Chittagong Vikings) have lost 3 of the last 4 clash between the sides.
- Challengers’ Mahmudullah is the 3rd highest run-getter in BPL history – 1619 runs- and would be eager to add to it from the very first game. He also holds the records for most catches.
- Meanwhile, Challengers bowler Rubel Hossain is the 3rd highest wicket taker with 70 wickets. He needs 3 wickets to eclipse Mashrafe Mortaza and would be keen to get a head-start.
- BPL 2019 had seen Vikings concede the highest total in BPL history- 239/4, against Rangpur Riders.
- Chittagong Vikings vs Sylhet has seen a few one sided game as well as close encounters. The Vikings hold the record for largest victories in terms of wickets, by beating Sylhet by 10 wickets in BPL 2015. They also hold the record for the smallest victory, against the same opponent- by 1 run.