T20I Match Prediction today: India vs Sri Lanka (IND vs SL )
January 5, 2020
Barsapara Cricket Stadium, Guwahati
After ending 2019 on a high, India begin 2020 with a 3-match T20I series against Sri Lanka, an opposition they fancy, especially in the shortest format of the game. With T20 World Cup around the corner, the focus has shifted on the 20-over game and there are plenty of actions coming our way in the near future.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka have had mixed fortunes in T20Is recently. They whitewashed Pakistan in their own den with almost second-string side but were then thrashed 3-0, the same margin, by Australia two weeks later. Their preparation for the T20 World Cup in Australia later this year continues with the brief three-match tour of India.
The series sees the return of Jasprit Bumrah and Shikhar Dhawan while Rohit Sharma has been rested for India. Meanwhile, Angelo Mathews returns for Sri Lanka.
India’s Performance in T20:
Deepak Chahar is not a part of the squad while Jasprit Bumrah has returned from injury. Hardik Pandya is still recovering which keeps Shivam Dubey still in the hunt. Mohammed Shami is also rested.
Meanwhile, Rohit Sharma has been rested while Shikhar Dhawan returns for the 3-match series which might prove to be crucial for the left-hander. Rohit and KL Rahul were in great touch in the recently concluded T20I series against West Indies and that has sent Dhawan behind in the pecking order.
India are exploring spin options who can also contribute a bit with the bat. It might be a short term plan due to the absence of Hardik Pandya but it might also be a long term and in that case the series might prove to be a crucial one for Kuldeep Yadav. The Chinaman bowler had struggled in the last few months before his hat-trick against West Indies last month.
Sri Lanka’s Performance in T20:
Veteran all-rounder Angelo Mathews returns to the 16-man squad. Mathews, who has been plagued by injury concerns over the last few years, hasn’t played a T20I since August 2018.
Meanwhile, 26-year-old pacer Kasun Rajitha replaces Nuwan Pradeep, who sustained an injury during practice.
The visitors might play the wrist spinning duo of Wanindu Hasaranga and Lakshan Sandakan together despite the fact that the Indian batsmen are very good against spin.
India vs Sri Lanka, 1st T20I Predicted line-up:
Virat Kohli (C), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wk), Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Washington Sundar, Navdeep Saini
Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Perera, Avishka Fernando, Angelo Mathews, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dhananjaya de Silva, Kasun Rajitha, Lasith Malinga, Lakshan Sandakan, Isuru Udana
Pitch Report for today's 1st T20I:
There are chances of scattered rains in Guwahati on Sunday.
The Barsapara Cricket Stadium is known for hosting high-scoring games as the pitch is flat and the boundaries are not the biggest in the world.
Batting second is always an advantage in T20I cricket especially when you are playing on flat pitches and you don’t have a clear idea what the par score is, batting first.
With the rain forecasted as well, batting second becomes an obvious choice as the Duckworth-Lewis rule also makes it slightly easier for the chasing teams, in terms of how they need to go about their innings.
India vs Sri Lanka: Today's match prediction
- India have never lost a bilateral series against Sri Lanka since Virat Kohli made his debut.
- Virat Kohli has scored half centuries against Sri Lanka in all 4 innings, all away from home.
- India have beaten Sri Lanka 11 times (out of 16) in T20Is and a 3-0 whitewash will make them most successful side against a single opposition- beating Pakistan’s 13 win record.
- Sri Lanka have lost 62 T20Is- joint most alongside West Indies.
- Jasprit Bumrah needs 2 wickets to be India’s top wicket taker in T20Is.
- Lasith Malinga averages 52.25 against India in white-ball cricket.
- Since 2016 T20 World Cup, India have the best batting average among all nations while Sri Lanka have the worst.
- Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma are the joint-leading run getters in T20Is at the moment- 2663 runs. With Sharma rested, Kohli has a chance to take a huge lead.