India vs West Indies prediction, First One Day International Match
December 15, 2019
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
After a brilliant series win in the T20Is, India host West Indies in the 1st ODI at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Sunday. The T20 series saw plenty of runs. Indian captain Virat Kohli was happy with the batsmen and the Men in Blues would like to build onto that momentum when they host West Indies in the first of the 3-match ODI series.
Meanwhile, West Indies, too would be happy with their performance even though they lost the series 2-1. They were brilliant with the bat and gave the hosts a run for their money. WI captain Kieron Pollard called the series a positive step in the right direction. He said the guys showed positive intent and West Indies would like to build on that momentum. However, ODIs are not their den as they seem slightly less comfortable in the format than they look in the shortest format of the game.
India’s predicted performance in the 1st ODI:
Mayank Agarwal has been included in India’s ODI squad for the upcoming three-match series against West Indies. The Karnataka opener has been roped in as a replacement for Shikhar Dhawan who’s still recovering from a knee injury he sustained earlier in the domestic season.
Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav might reunite for the game, given the nature of the pitch.
KL Rahul might get a shot at the opening slot after his exploits in the T20 series.
Bhuvneshwar Kumar is a doubt after he felt discomfort and informed the medical staff about it following India’s 67-run over West Indies in the T20I series decider
West Indies’s predicted performance in the 1st ODI:
Evin Lewis is set to be sidelined due to a knee injury. Brandon King will most probably open the batting along with Shai Hope, who is set to return after missing the T20s.
India vs West Indies Predicted XI:
Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli (c), Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wk), Shivam Dube, Kedar Jadhav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Deepak Chahar.
Brandon King, Shai Hope (wk), Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran, Kieron Pollard (c), Khary Pierre, Jason Holder, Roston Chase, Hayden Walsh Jr., Sheldon Cotrell, Alzarri Joseph.
Pitch & Weather Report Today:
The pitch favours spinners slightly.
21 ODIs have been played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai. 13 games have been won by the team batting first.
Average first innings score- 239
Average second innings score- 214
ODI Match Prediction today: India vs West Indies
- The T20 series had plenty of runs and saw 6 batsmen finish with an average above 40!
- 72 sixes were scored in the 3-match T20I series. Even though the format is changing don’t expect the batsmen, especially the West Indies batsmen, to relax and reduce their six hitting rate.
- India has a chance to improve their head to head record against West Indies in the ODIs. Out of the 128 times the two teams have locked horns since 1979, the West Indies are narrowly ahead, winning 50.31% of the games. Matches Played: 128 | India: 61 | West Indies: 62 | Tied: 2 | No Result : 3
- Kuldeep Yadav has a great record against West Indies. He picked up 3 wickets in 2 innings in India tour of West Indies, 2019 to go with the 9 wickets he had picked in 4 innings in the 2018 series.
- Virat Kohli was the top scorer in the last 2 bilateral series. He scored 234 runs at an average of 234 in the last series in 2019 to add to his tally of 453 runs (4 matches) in 2018.