India vs West Indies prediction, Second ODI Match
December 18, 2019
After a thumping loss in the opener, India would be keen to bounce back when they host West Indies in the 2nd of the 3-match India vs WI ODI series. Despite scoring an above par score in the 1st ODI, Indian bowlers couldn’t do much, specially the spinners, as centuries from Shimron Hetmyer and Shai Hope guided WI to 8-wicket win.
India’s predicted performance in the 1st ODI:
Bhuvneshwar Kumar was ruled out of the series before the opener.
Rishabh Pant finally came good with the bat, scoring 71 runs. Shreyas Iyer and Kedar Jadhav also contributed to ensure there’s not much question about the middle-order.
However, the game saw a rare top-order failure with Virat Kohli scoring 4, KL Rahul scoring 6 and Rohit Sharma adding 36 runs.
Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav haven’t played together since conceding 160 runs in 20 overs against England in the World Cup. They are unlikely to do so on Wednesday either.
Ravindra Jadeja has made a strong comeback in the limited-over.
West Indies’ predicted performance in the 1st ODI:
Sheldon Cottrell, Keemo Paul and Alzarri Joseph picked up 2 wickets each.
Shai Hope played a cautious 151-ball 102 runs to jump into the top run getter list for the year- on 3rd place.
There were concerns regarding Shimron Hetmyer’s character on slow wickets. However, he, too, scored a century but his knock was similar to the way he plays. He scored at a strike rate of 131.
India vs West Indies, 2nd ODI Predicted line-up:
Lokesh Rahul, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli (c), Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Deepak Chahar, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami.
Shai Hope (wk), Sunil Ambris, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran, Roston Chase, Kieron Pollard (c), Jason Holder, Keemo Paul, Hayden Walsh, Alzarri Joseph, Sheldon Cottrell.
Pitch Report Today's Ind vs WI match:
Historically, it is known for producing belters, where batsmen can play through the line on even-paced wickets. However, in recent times, spinners have made their mark.
Out of 8 games played at the venue,
2 have been won by the team batting first and 5 by the chasing teams.
Average 1st Inns scores- 283
Average 2nd Inns scores- 253
Highest total- 356
Lowest total- 79
ODI Match Prediction today: India vs West Indies
- Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shai Hope lead the ODI batting charts for 2019. While Kohli has 1292 runs, Rohit has 1268 and Hope has 1225 runs. It’s a tough competition to finish the year as leaders. Kohli and Hope average better than Sharma.
- Kohli, Sharma and KL Rahul had a rare failure in the first game but write them off on your own risk.
- Kuldeep bowled 10 overs for just 45 runs. However, he is used as a wicket-taking option and his failure to do was one of the reasons behind India’s failure.
- Hetmyer hit 7 sixes in the first ODI to add to his tally of 12 from the T20s. Expect him to continue his six hitting run.
- Sheldon Cottrell was the leading wicket taker in the T20 series and once again troubled the India batsman in the first ODI.
- The first ODI saw the first instance in 15 years when India had a 100 plus run partnership for the 4th wicket for the 3rd successive time. Shreyas Iyer has played a part in all 3 of them, scoring 50s.
- Shreyas Iyer has scored 50+ scores in 5 of the 8 innings he has batted in. He is the 4th fastest batsmen to do so. Expect him to continue his run.
- Shimron Hetmyer has scored 2 ODI hundreds against India.
- India have lost their last 4 home ODI matches.
- West Indies have won their last 4 ODI games.
- Shimron Hetmyer and Shai Hope became the first pair of batsmen to score centuries in an ODI chase against India in India.
- The 2nd wicket stand of 218 runs by Shai Hope and Shimron Hetmyer in the 1st ODI is now the biggest partnership for any pair in an ODI chase against India in India, eclipsing Tom Latham and Ross Taylor’s 200 for New Zealand.
- The 33 overs bowled by spinners in the 1st India vs WI ODI without taking a wicket are the most by the spinners without a wicket in an ODI on Indian soil.