First T20 International Match Prediction: India vs West Indies
December 6, 2019,
Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, India
India host West Indies in the first of the 3-match T20I series on Friday. While West Indies know they are the underdogs, their skipper Kieron Pollard doesn’t mind that tag. India are looking to extend their 6-game winning run against West Indies.
West Indies are coming on the brink of an ODI series win against Afghanistan after losing the T20I series 2-1. Meanwhile, India are coming on the back of a thumping Test win against Bangladesh. Virat Kohli returns to the team.
India’s performance in the 1st T20I series:
India introduced a new drill in the training to increase their pace further, in a bid to rotate strikes ahead of the world T20.
With Shikhar Dhawan ruled out, KL Rahul will likely open the innings with Rohit Sharma. Shreyas Iyer. Kuldeep Yadav and Bhuvneshwar Kumar are likely to return to the team after missing the T20 series against Bangladesh. Shivam Dube might hold his place, which might make it difficult for Manish Pandey.
West Indies’s performance in the 1st T20I series:
West Indies are likely to stick with Brandon King once again, despite him failing against Afghanistan. Shai Hope scored a 50 in the last T20 against Afghanistan but is not even part of the squad. Meanwhile, Nicholas Pooran is suspended after admitting to ball tampering.
Probable XI: Brandon King, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Shimron Hetmyer, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Jason Holder, Keemo Paul, Khary Pierre, Kesrick Williams, Sheldon Cottrell.
India vs West Indies: Predicted eleven
KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant, Washington Sundar, Shivam Dube, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Deepak Chahar.
Brandon King, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Shimron Hetmyer, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Jason Holder, Keemo Paul, Khary Pierre, Kesrick Williams, Sheldon Cottrell.
There was some rain in Hyderabad on Monday night, but the sky has remained clear since Tuesday.
Teams batting first have won 33 T20 games at the venue while chasing teams have won 40 games with 1 game finishing in tie.
Average first innings score at the venue in 2019 has risen to 171.5 from 152 in 2018.
T20 Match today: India vs West Indies Prediction
- KL Rahul is eyeing to become 7th Indian batsman to hit 1000 T20I runs (28 innings). Rohit Sharma (2539), Virat Kohli (2450), MS Dhoni (1617), Suresh Raina (1605), Shikhar Dhawan (1504) and Yuvraj Singh (1177) are part of the elite list.
- If Rahul manages to do so in the first game, he will become the joint 3rd fastest in world to reach the landmark, along with Aaron Finch. Babar Azam is the quickest (26 innings), followed by Virat Kohli- 27 innings.
- Since June 2016, West Indies’ win percent in T20Is is just 30.77, 2nd worst among the full ICC members during this period. Meanwhile, India have 64, 3rd best.
- India have won their last 6 head to head meetings against West Indies.
- Virat Kohli has scored 318 runs in 8 innings against West Indies at a strike rate of 140.
- West Indies have lost 48 wickets to wrist spin in 109 overs and with Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav in the ranks, India are going to exploit that.
- Kieron Pollard is just 47 runs short of 1000 T20I runs. He is coming on the back of a brilliant T10 series. Only 3 West Indies batsmen have managed to go past the 1000-run mark in T20I cricket so far. Chris Gayle (1627), Marlon Samuels (1611) and Dwayne Bravo (1142). Expect Pollard to use his knowledge of the Indian condition to the best of his abilities.
- Rohit Sharma needs just one six to join elite 400-sixes club in international cricket. Only two players have crossed the milestone- former Pakistan batsman Shahid Afridi (476 sixes) and West Indies international Chris Gayle (534 sixes).