Match Prediction: India vs Australia, 2nd ODI
January 17, 2020, Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Rajkot
After a humiliating defeat in the first ODI, India host Australia in the 2nd ODI at Rajkot with an aim to save the series. While the hosts had a performance to forget, the hosts produced one of the most dominant wins of the recent times to make it a one-sided affair, beating India for the fourth successive time in their own den.
But that’s the beauty of the game and the big teams. They forget dismal performances pretty quickly and turn the game the next time they take the field and that’s exactly what India will be hoping to do on Friday.
India’s Performance in ODI:
Virat Kohli tried to dodge the selection headache by playing all 3 openers- KL Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma. However, that meant the captain was demoted to number 4 and Shreyas Iyer to number 5. Both the moves backfired as Shreyas Iyer had a rare failure and so to had Virat Kohli.
Rishabh Pant didn’t take the field due to concussion and might miss the 2nd game which means KL Rahul is likely to keep his place. Shikhar Dhawan was the top scorer so he too is likely to keep the place which means Kohli might once again continue with playing all the 3 and dropping himself to number 4.
The absence of Pant, which looks likely, might also see Kedar Jadhav return to the fold.
In their pursuit of playing just one of Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal in the T20s, India stuck with the same formula in the 1st ODI but they will have to play both the spinners if they really want to bring the best out of both.
Australia’s Performance in ODI:
It was as good a start as Australia would have hoped for in the series.
The bowlers did an exceptional job to pull back India from 134/1 to 255 all out.
Only David Warner and Aaron Finch got the chance to bat which means the same XI is likely to be retained and Marnus Labuschagne will have to wait for his first ODI runs.
India vs Australia Predicted X1:
India: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant, Kedar Jadhav, Ravindra Jadeja, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Navdeep Saini, Mohammed Shami.
Australia: David Warner, D’Arcy Short, Aaron Finch (c), Steven Smith, Peter Handscomb, Alex Carey, Ashton Agar, Kane Richardson, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Pat Cummins (vc).
Today’s ODI Match:India vs Australia Predictions
- Rohit Sharma is just 46 runs away from 9000 runs.
- Australia defeated India in the 4th consecutive ODI in India during the first ODI. They are the first side to do so since Australia themselves between 2003 & 2006.
- Rohit has hit 93 sixes against Australia in ODIs. Only Chris Gayle (against England) has scored more than 100 sixes against a single opponent.
- Australia chased down the 2nd highest total without losing a wicket in ODI during the first game.
- David Warner and Aaron Finch added 258 for the first wicket in the first ODI which is their 3rd highest partnership in ODIs. Warner has been involved in all 3.
- Australia defeated India by 10 wickets in an ODI for the first time on Tuesday.
- The 258-run stand between Warner and Finch was the highest partnership vs India in ODIs. In fact, 4 of the top 5 instances have been done by Australian pairs.
- David Warner has scored 2 centuries and 2 half centuries against India in the last 4 ODIs. He has 465 runs during this period at an average of 155.
- David Warner completed 5000 runs in the last game. It took him just 115 innings, 1 more than Virat Kohli, who is the 3rd quickest to the milestone.
- Kuldeep Yadav has dismissed Aaron Finch 6 times in ODIs.
- Since October 2013, only 4 times have India conceded more than 100 runs for the opening wicket, all 4 by Australian pairs. Other sides average 29.76 during this period.
- Adam Zampa has dismissed Kohli four times in 97 balls, conceding 126 runs.
- A century for Virat Kohli will take him joint 2nd in the list of most international centuries- 71.