Match Prediction: India vs Sri Lanka, 2nd T20I
January 7, 2020
Holkar Cricket Stadium, Indore
Rain and ground in Guwahati stole all the anticipation of India’s first game of the year and the imminent return of Jasprit Bumrah and Shikhar Dhawan in the squad.
However, the 3-match T20I series against Sri Lanka, an opposition they fancy, especially in the shortest format of the game is virtually reduced to a 2-match series now which means the team that wins on Tuesday cannot lose the series. It means a lot to Sri Lanka, who have never beaten India in a bilateral series since India’s current captain Virat Kohli made his debut.
With T20 World Cup around the corner, the focus has shifted on the 20-over game and there are plenty of actions coming our way in the near future.
The same sides had locked horns in the only T20I game played at the venue so far with Rohit Sharma’s century taking India to 260. However, Sri Lanka must take respite from the fact Sharma is not there for the series.
India’s Performance in T20:
Deepak Chahar is not a part of the squad while Jasprit Bumrah has returned from injury. Hardik Pandya is still recovering which keeps Shivam Dubey still in the hunt. Mohammed Shami is also rested.
Meanwhile, Rohit Sharma has been rested while Shikhar Dhawan returns for the 3-match series which might prove to be crucial for the left-hander. Rohit and KL Rahul were in great touch in the recently concluded T20 series against West Indies and that has sent Dhawan behind in the pecking order.
India are exploring spin options who can also contribute a bit with the bat. It might be a short-term plan due to the absence of Hardik Pandya but it might also be a long term thing in which case the series might prove to be a crucial one for Kuldeep Yadav. The Chinaman bowler had struggled in the last few months before his hat-trick against West Indies last month.
He was in the starting XI for the first T20I in Guwahati, a game that never happened, and will likely retain his place.
Shardul Thakur, Navdeep Saini and Jasprit Bumrah were poised to be the pacer which meant there was no place for Ravindra Jadeja in the team. However, Jadeja might walk back in.
Sri Lanka’s Performance in T20:
Veteran all-rounder Angelo Mathews returns to the 16-man squad. Mathews, who has been plagued by injury concerns over the last few years, hasn’t played a T20I since August 2018. He was not scheduled to play a part in Guwahati either.
Meanwhile, 26-year-old pacer Kasun Rajitha replaces Nuwan Pradeep, who sustained an injury during practice. He was not named to play the first T20I and it might remain the same.
India vs Sri Lanka Predicted line-up:
Virat Kohli (C), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wk), Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Washington Sundar, Navdeep Saini.
Danushka Gunathilaka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Perera (wk), Oshada Fernando, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Isuru Udana, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lahiru Kumara, Lasith Malinga ©
The wicket at the Holkar stadium usually favours the batsmen. With even bounce and short boundaries coming into play, batsmen tend to rule the roost.
The only T20I played at the venue saw the same teams locking horns, back in 2017.
The game saw India post their highest T20I score, and 3rd overall- 260/5. 63 boundaries were scored in that game.
Indian spinners Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav picked up 7 wickets.
Today’s T20I Match: India vs Sri Lanka Prediction
- India have never lost a bilateral series against Sri Lanka since Virat Kohli made his debut.
- Virat Kohli has scored half centuries against Sri Lanka in all 4 innings, all away from home.
- India have beaten Sri Lanka 11 times (out of 16) in T20Is and a 3-0 whitewash will make them most successful side against a single opposition- beating Pakistan’s 13-win record.
- Sri Lanka have lost 62 T20Is- joint most alongside West Indies.
- Jasprit Bumrah needs 2 wickets to be India’s top wicket taker in T20Is.
- Lasith Malinga averages 52.25 against India in white-ball cricket.
- Since 2016 T20 World Cup, India have the best batting average among all nations while Sri Lanka have the worst.
- Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma are the joint-leading run getters in T20Is at the moment- 2663 runs. With Sharma rested, Kohli has a chance to take a huge lead.
- The last game at the venue between the sides saw 432 runs, 31 sixes and 15 wickets.