Match Prediction: India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd T20I
January 10, 2020
MCA Stadium, Pune
After an easy 7-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the 2nd T20I, India host their island neighbours in the 3rd and final T20 of the series on Friday in Pune.
India eased their way to a facile seven-wicket victory against Sri Lanka in Indore, after the first T20I in Guwahati was abandoned. Given a meagre 143 runs to chase down, the explosive Indian batting order made easy work of the target and got there with 15 balls to spare.
Courtesy the abandoned game in Guwahati, Sri Lanka now have to win the third and final T20I in Pune to equalize. India, on the other hand, will go all out for a win after the 1-0 lead they gained in Indore and will try to close the series out with a 2-0 scoreline to boost their confidence further for the World T20, and furthermore, cement their combinations.
India’s Performance in T20:
The much-anticipated return of Jasprit Bumrah unravelled at Indore as he bowled the very first over of the game. He looked slightly out of rhythm – he had an average speed of 136- as he started but grew in confidence.
Meanwhile, Shikhar Dhawan was sluggish on his return and ended up on almost run-a-ball 32. An inning that saw just 2 boundaries.
The 2nd T20I was almost a perfect game for India. Every bowler picked up wicket while every batsman, except Rishabh Pant who only faced 1 delivery, scored 30 or more.
Kuldeep Yadav continued his revival, picking up from where he left against West Indies. He picked up 2 wickets. However, Shardul Thakur was the standout bowler, picking up 3 wickets- all in 1 over.
India is unlikely to change the winning combination.
Sri Lanka’s Performance in T20:
Sri Lanka lost Isuru Udana, who Lasith Malinga called their main bowler, even before he could bowl with an injury. Udana might miss the final game.
6 out of the top 8 batsmen got into the double digits in the 2nd T20I. However, none of them could play a big inning and that’s what cost Sri Lanka as they could muster just 142 on a batting friendly pitch. That’s where they needed a cool and composed head like Angelo Mathews.
He may, however, be recalled for the final T20.
India vs Sri Lanka Predicted line-up:
Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Virat Kohli (c), Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wk), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Navdeep Saini, Jasprit Bumrah.
Danushka Gunathilaka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Perera (wk), Angelo Mathews, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dasun Shanaka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Kasun Rajitha, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lahiru Kumara, Lasith Malinga ©
Two T20Is have been played at the venue with the chasing team winning both the games.
Average first innings score- 129
Today’a T20I Match: India vs Sri Lanka Prediction
- Since the start of 2017, India have 18 (82%) out of their 22 completed matches in chases. No team has been more successful while chasing in the timeline
- Virat Kohli became the fastest to complete 1,000 T20I runs as a captain. It took him 30 innings, one less than Faf du Plessis and 6 less than Kane Williamson.
- India have never lost a bilateral series against Sri Lanka since Virat Kohli made his debut.
- Virat Kohli’s half century scoring streak against Sri Lanka came to an end in the last game. He had scored 50s against them in the 4 games before Tuesday.
- India have beaten Sri Lanka 12 times (out of 17) in T20Is. Another win will see them join Pakistan as the most successful side against a single opposition.
- Sri Lanka have lost 63 T20Is- most.
- Jasprit Bumrah needs 1 wicket to be India’s top wicket taker in T20Is.