Match Prediction: New Zealand vs India, 3rd T20I
January 29, 2020, Seddon Park, Hamilton
After winning the first 2 T20Is, India are sensing a rare series win here in Hamilton as they prepare to take on New Zealand in the 3rd T20Is. A win will help them register their first T20I series win against New Zealand. However, the Kiwis are the last team India will expect cheap gifts from, given their records.
Meanwhile, the Blackcaps would be eager to bounce back after flopping in 2 back to back games in front of their home crowd.
New Zealand Performance in T20:
New Zealand were disappointed as they failed to learn their lessons from their first T20I of the series against India and suffered a second consecutive defeat which was largely down to a tame effort with the bat.
None of their batsmen really put their foot down and even a late effort from Tim Seifert who scored an unbeaten 33 from 26 did not allow the Blackcaps to post a total that they could realistically defend aside from a brilliant effort with the ball.
It may be time for the hosts to switch things up with Daryl Mitchell the most likely to come into the side.
Colin de Grandhomme hasn’t bowled a ball and has scored just 4 runs in the tournament so far. He might either drop out of the team or might have to move down in batting order
New Zealand predicted XI:
Martin Guptill, Colin Munro, Kane Williamson (c), Tim Seifert, Ross Taylor, Colin de Grandhomme, Daryl Mitchell, Mitchell Santner, Scott Kuggeleijn, Tim Southee.
India Performance in T20:
Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are yet to fire at all cylinders in the series and it is a great sign for the Indian team that they have done well without their top batsmen getting big runs.
India made light work of New Zealand in the second T20I and moved to within one win of claiming the series after taking a 2-0 lead thanks to their comfortable victory over the hosts at Eden Park.
The tourists were solid with the ball as they kept New Zealand’s scoring in check before KL Rahul and Shreyas Iyer carried on where they left off in the first game with scores of 57* and 44 respectively.
They were able to guide their side to the seven-wicket victory and following another impressive display, India could name the same side for the third game as they bid to wrap the series up.
India predicted XI:
Rohit Sharma (vc), KL Rahul (wk), Virat Kohli (c), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah.
Match Prediction: New Zealand vs India, 3d T20I
- India has never beaten New Zealand in a T20I series before. There’s always a first-time though, and India is on the brink of achieving that.
- Lokesh Rahul and Shreyas Iyer are averaging above 100 in the series. They have scored 113 and 102 runs respectively in 2 games.
- Colin Munro has been New Zealand’s best batsmen in the series so far, having scored 85 runs.
- Ravindra Jadeja and Ish Sodhi have picked up 3 wickets each.
- Rohit Sharma has scored 2648 runs in T20Is. He is 97 runs behind Virat Kohli in the list. Meanwhile, Martin Guptill has 2499 runs. He is just 1 away from 2500.
- Martin Guptill has scored 228 runs in 9 innings at an average of 25.33 against India.
- Virat Kohli has scored 1,088 runs in 35 T20Is and is ranked fourth in the list of highest run-scorers as a T20I captain. He needs 25 runs to go past MS Dhoni (1,112) in the run chart. South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis leads the list of highest run-scorers as a T20I captain, having amassed 1,273 runs in 40 T20Is.
- In 13 matches against New Zealand, India have only won 5.