Match Prediction:West Indies vs Ireland, 3rd T20I
January 19, 2020, Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts
West Indies will consider them unlucky after they were hard done by rain in the 2nd T20I. Kieron Pollard was scintillating best with the ball as they restricted Ireland to just 147 in 19 overs. They were reduced to 16/1 when the game was called off.
It capped off a dull 2nd T20 following a thrilling 1st game of the T20I series which saw Ireland edge West Indies by 4 runs after scoring 208 runs. The teams have less than 24 hours to get themselves back as they meet again at the same venue.
With Ireland leading the series 1-0, West Indies can’t win it anymore but can atleast level it in the final game of the series.
Though there’s plenty at stake, knowing both the sides, one thing is guaranteed- another entertaining game.
West Indies Performance in T20:
Kieran Pollard was the hero and almost guided the 2nd game in his team’s favour, only to be denied by rain. He picked up 4 wickets for 25 runs in his 4 overs. Sheldon Cottrell was unplayable. He picked up 2 wickets but gave away just 10 runs in 4 overs.
Dwayne Bravo had a rare quiet game as he didn’t pick up any wicket but bowled at an economy of just 6.
Evin Lewis would look to add to his 50 from the first game.
West Indies might retain the same XI that featured in the 2nd game.
Ireland Performance in T20:
After a brilliant batting display in the first game, Ireland came crashing down in the 2nd T20. Gareth Delany hit 5 sixes enroute to his 44 of 22 while Andrew Balbirnie and Harry Tector also scored in 30s.
The collapse might be considered a one-off thing and they would be eager to shake this off ahead of the final game.
Paul Stirling has scored 860 runs at an average of 43 in 22 T20Is since Jan 2019 while Kevin O’Brien has 781 runs in 25 T20Is and Andrew Balbirnie has 644 runs. Mark Adair has picked 27 wickets in 17 T20Is during this period.
West Indies predicted XI:
Lendl Simmons, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran (wk), Kieron Pollard (c), Sherfane Rutherford, Dwayne Bravo, Hayden Walsh, Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Romario Shepherd
Ireland predicted XI:
Paul Stirling, Kevin O Brien, Andrew Balbirnie (c), Gareth Delany, Harry Tector, Gary Wilson (wk), George Dockrell, Simi Singh, Barry McCarthy, Joshua Little, Craig Young
West Indies vs Ireland, T20I Predictions
- West Indies have won only two of their last ten bilateral series since December 2017 in the T20I format – vs Bangladesh in Bangladesh, 2018 (2-1 in 3-match series) and one-off T20I against ICC World XI in 2018. West Indies lost the remaining 8 series they played in this period and were whitewashed five times. The streak is set to extended given they can’t win it anymore.
- West Indies and Ireland have met 6 times in T20s with both sides winning twice and 2 game ending without a result.
- Ireland have not win a bilateral T20I series since beating PNG in 2016 (2-1 in 3-match series). They have lost 5 of the 7 series played since then. However, they can no longer lose the series.
- Kieron Pollard is only 34 runs away from becoming the 2nd player to aggregate 10000 runs in Twenty20 history after Chris Gayle. Pollard (9966) is currently the 2nd highest run-getter in T20s as he went past Brendon McCullum’s 9922 runs during the T20I decider against India recently.
- West Indies haven’t won a T20I in the Caribbean Islands since July 2018 against Bangladesh.
- Ireland’s Barry McCarthy has conceded more than 50 runs thrice in T20Is. He is the 3rd such bowler.
- West Indies have lost 2 of their last 3 T20s at the venue. They have won just 2 of their 14 games since Jan 2019.
- Kieron Pollard has scored 301 runs at an average of 43 and has 9 wickets at 18.55 in 11 T20Is since Jan 2019. Meanwhile, Evin Lewis has 251 runs and Sheldon Cottrell has 18 wickets during this period.