Big Bash League Predictions 2019: Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder
January 8, 2020
Melbourne Stars return to action in the Big Bash League 2019-20 after 4 days when they host Sydney Thunder in the 28th match of Big Bash 2019-20 on Wednesday.
The Stars are on the top spot in BBL 2019-20 (before Wednesday) despite playing 1 game less than nearest rivals Sydney Sixes. The Stars are coming on the back of an 8-wicket win over Melbourne Renegades in Melbourne Derby on Saturday. Another win for them will open a healthy lead from the 4th spot.
Meanwhile, Sydney Thunder have had mixed fortunes so far. They lost to Sydney Sixer in Super Over in 1 game, had a game abandoned and lost a rain-affected game against Brisbane Heat, their latest game, by 16 runs. They are 4th in the table with 7 points from 7 games. However, a defeat might see them slip down the table.
Melbourne Stars performance in Big Bash League:
They look to be the team of the tournament so far. Their bowlers are partnering well while their batsmen are brilliantly complementing the bowlers.
The last game against Renegades saw Dale Steyn and Adam Zampa pick 2 wickets while Sandeep Lamichhane picked up 3 wickets.
Marcus Stoinis has been a consistent contributor with the bat and is the team’s leading run scorer- 213 runs.
Meanwhile, Glenn Maxwell has also been in good form. He has played some valuable knock with the bat and has also chipped in with a few good overs.
Sydney Thunder performance in Big Bash League:
Usman Khawaja had a forgettable outing against Brisbane Heat in the last game and would be eager to get back among runs.
The rain affected game saw glimpses of Thunder batsmen which they would be hoping to convert in match winning knocks.
Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder Predicted line-up:
Dale Steyn, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell (c), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Dunk, Peter Handscomb (wk), Adam Zampa, Daniel Worrall, Marcus Stoinis, Nick Larkin, Sandeep Lamichhane.
Usman Khawaja, Alex Hales, Callum Ferguson (c), Matthew Gilkes (wk), Alex Ross, Chris Morris, Daniel Sams, Chris Green, Arjun Nair, Chris Tremain, Brendan Doggett.
Pitch Report for today's BBL:
It will be the second of five games to be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne during Big Bash League 2019-20.
Off the 13 T20Is played at the venue, 5 have been won by team batting first, 7 by the team chasing total while one ended in no result.
139 is the average 1st inning score while 131 is the average 2nd inning score.
184/3 is the highest total recorded while even as low as 74 has also been defended at the venue.
3 of the 5 games played at the venue during last season were won by the team batting first.
Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder: Today's Match Prediction
- Marcus Stoinis is the highest run getter in BBL 2019-20 so far. His 281 runs is 28 more than Callum Ferguson, who has played a game more than the former. Ferguson will be keen to go past Stoinis.
- Melbourne Stars have won 5 of their 6 games, only losing to Adelaide Strikers – by just 4 runs.
- Marcus Stoinis completed 2000 runs in Twenty20 cricket during his unbeaten fifty against Renegades. His 68-run knock is the 10th fifty by him in this format and nine of them coming for the Melbourne Stars in the BBL.
- Dale Steyn completed 250 wickets in the Twenty20 format with the first of his two wickets in the last game. He is the 3rd player from South Africa with 250 T20 wickets after Imran Tahir (355) and Alfonso Thomas (263).
- Dale Steyn is only the 9th player in professional cricket with 250+ wickets in all three formats (FC / List A / T20). Except for Tahir and Steyn, all the remaining seven players in this list are from the Asian continent.
- Sydney Thunder’s Daniel Sams is the leading wicket taker in BBL 2019-20, having picked up 14 wickets. His teammate Chris Morris has 8.