Mzansi Super League Today Match Prediction (MSL 2019): Jozi Stars vs Durban Heat
December 7, 2019,
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
After earning their first points in the Mzansi Super League 2019 against Tshwane Spartans on Thursday, courtesy a washed-out game, Jozi Stars face Durban Heat in the 27th game of the MSL 2019 on Saturday. While the Stars would be looking for their first win of the campaign the Heat would be eager to win their next 2 games against the bottom side by big margins to seal their place in the eliminator.
Durban Heat are coming in the game on the back of 3 back to back wins against the top 2 sides in the table.
Jozi Stars’s performance in MSL T20:
Mzansi Super League 2018 champion Jozi Stars finally managed to break their points drought on Thursday. The Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars game that was washed out ended Stars’ 7-game losing streak but they are still without a win after 8 games.
Jozi Stars will be steered by their skipper Temba Bavuma from the front when they host Heat. He will be assisted by Van der Dussen and Reeza Hendricks to reinforce their batting line-up. Despite having the likes of Kagiso Rabada and Aaron Phangiso, Stars have failed to showcase a strong bowling attack on a consistent basis.
The balance of the batting XI now looks much better with the introduction of Shoaib Malik into the middle order, taking pressure off those ahead of him.
Malik is also a handy bowling option and loves contributing in every department.
Durban Heat’s performance in MSL T20:
Durban Heat have bounced back in some style in the tournament, winning their last 3 games after 3 of their first 4 games were washed out. They chased down a big total of 196, riding on the back of Alex Hales’ unbeaten 97.
David Miller contributed once again with the bat which is good news for their side.
However, their bowlers are still struggling- they conceded 195 and could only pick up 2 wickets in their last game, against Paarl Rocks.
Jozi Stars vs Durban Heat: Predicted XI
Reeza Hendricks, Ryan Rickelton, Temba Bavuma (C), Rassie van der Dussen, Shoaib Malik, Sinethemba Qeshile (wk), Daniel Christian, Lizaad Williams, Kagiso Rabada, Aaron Phangiso, Duanne Olivier.
Wesley Marshall, Alex Hales, Wihan Lubbe, Dane Vilas (C & WK), David Miller, Ravi Bopara, Andile Phehlukwayo, Malusi Siboto, Keshav Maharaj, Kyle Abbott, Marco Jansen.
Pitch Report for today’s MSL T20 match:
It is an excellent track to bat at the New Wanderers. In the previous game on this pitch, the team batting first was able to amass 171 runs, losing just 3 wickets. However, they were unable to defend that.
Out of 10 T20 games played at the venue, teams batting first have won 3 games while chasing teams have won 7 games.
Average first innings score- 164
Average 2nd innings score- 151
Jozi Stars vs Durban Heat: Today’s match Prediction
- Jozi Stars’ 7-game losing streak is finally over. However, they are still winless after 8 games. They have showed signs of improvement in the last few games and might spring a surprise here.
- Stars’ Kagiso Rabada and Duanne Olivier have 8 and 7 wickets respectively. That has placed Rabada in the top 10 list of the top wicket takers in the current edition.
- Malusi Siboto and Andile Phehlukwayo are Heat’s most successful bowlers with 7 and 6 wickets respectively. Expect them to add to their tallies.
- However, Stars dominate in the batting department with Reeza Hendricks and Bavuma among the top 5 run getters with 275 and 232 runs respectively. Hendricks is also the top scorer in the history of Mzansi Super League, having scored 687 runs.
- There’s no Durban Heat batsman in the top 10. However, David Miller and Wihan Lubbe follow immediately- on 12th and 14th with 184 and 175 runs respectively. Expect them to break into that list. Meanwhile, Miller averages 61, 2nd best in the tournament. Only his teammate Ravi Bopara is ahead of him- with an average of 87.