Mzansi Super League Today Match Prediction (MSL 2019): Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars
December 5, 2019
SuperSport Park, Centurion
Tshwane Spartans host struggling side Jozi Stars on Thursday with an aim to strengthen their top 3 position as the tournament enters the death stage. 3 wins and 3 No Results from the first 8 MSL games have helped Spartans move to 3rd in the points table. They are virtually fighting with Cape Town Blitz and Durban Heat for the 3rd spot and as seen more often than not, a team which gets knocked out early play spoilsport for few more and Stars may do that.
Jozi Stars are yet to win a game. In fact, they are yet to get a point. They have been so unlucky that none of their games have been washed out either. This might be the game where they might finally open their tally.
Tshwane Spartans’s performance in MSL T20:
Dean Elgar is a doubt for Spartans. Listed in the squad for the Giants game he did not make the XI. Tony de Zorzi deputised and was not at all shabby in the opening berth.
AB de Villiers has delivered phenomenal performances for Spartans in the MSL 2019. He will be assisted by Pite van Bilijon.
Wiaan Mulder has also been among the runs.
Spartans’ bowling attack will be steered by Lungi Ngidi, who has scalped nine wickets in his last five matches.
Jozi Stars’s performance in MSL T20:
Jozi Stars will be steered by their skipper Temba Bavuma from the front. He will be assisted by Van der Dussen and Reeza Hendricks to reinforce their batting line-up. Despite having the likes of Kagiso Rabada and Aaron Phangiso, Stars have failed to showcase a strong bowling attack on a consistent basis.
The balance of the batting XI now looks much better with the introduction of Shoaib Malik into the middle order, taking pressure off those ahead of him.
Malik should also add needed nous with the ball. It’s hard not to reckon there’s much wrong with the talent, though, in this regard.
Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars: Predicted XI
Wiaan Mulder, Tony de Zorzi, Roelof van der Merwe, AB de Villiers, Heinrich Klaasen (C & WK), Petrus van Biljon, Wiaan Mulder, Tom Curran, Morne Morkel, Lungi Ngidi, Lutho Sipamla.
Reeza Hendricks, Ryan Rickelton, Temba Bavuma (C), Rassie van der Dussen, Shoaib Malik, Sinethemba Qeshile (wk), Daniel Christian, Lizaad Williams, Kagiso Rabada, Aaron Phangiso, Duanne Olivier.
Pitch Report for today’s MSL T20 match:
Out of the 3 matches played at the venue, 2 have been washed out and 1 has been won by team bowling first.
That game was a low scoring game which saw Spartans chase 127 in 15 overs after bundling Paarl Rocks for 126.
Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars: Today’s match Prediction
- Only Farhaan Behardien and Albie Morkel have scored more T20 runs at the venue than Ab De Villiers.
- Jozi Stars have now lost seven in a row. An extraordinary record for the defending champions. Despite the sequence, there is evidence they are getting better.
- 12 wickets fell in the last game at the venue while 16 wickets had fallen in the last meeting between the 2 sides. Expect another good day for bowlers.
- 35 boundaries were scored in the last game between the sides with Spartans winning the game by 20 runs despite scoring 155.
- Spartans’ Morne Morkel and Ngidi are in the top wicket takers list with 10 and 9 wickets respectively. Expect them to add to their tallies.
- Meanwhile, Stars’ Kagiso Rabada and Duanne Olivier have 8 and 7 wickets respectively.
- However, Stars dominate in the batting department with Reeza Hendricks and Bavuma among the top 5 run getters with 275 and 217 runs respectively. Spartans have a representation in AB de Villiers, who has scored 232 runs.