Mzansi Super League Today Match Prediction (MSL 2019): Paarl Rocks vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants
December 8, 2019,
Boland Park, Paarl
Paarl Rocks host Nelson Mandela Bay Giants in the battle of the top 2 in Mzansi Super League 2019. The winner is likely to get a direct entry into the final of MSL 2019 given just 4 points separate them. However, a defeat for the Rocks, coupled with some other results going against them, might even knock them out.
The last game between the 2 sides saw Paarl Rocks def Nelson Mandela by 31 runs. All 5 Rocks bowlers used in that game picked up 2 wickets each.
Paarl Rocks’s performance in MSL T20:
Paarl’s batting line-up looks strong with the likes of Faf du Plessis, Henry Davids and Cameron Delport. Cameron Delport scored 84 from 49 balls in the last game against Durban Heat while Faf du Plessis added 66 runs.
Meanwhile, Tabraiz Shamsi has been the pick of the bowlers. He is in the top 5 wicket takers in the tournament so far and added 2 more to his tally in the last game.
Nelson Mandela Bay Giants’s performance in MSL T20:
Ben Dunk scored 75 runs in their last game against Cape Town Blitz to guide the team into the playoffs. Meanwhile, Matthew Breetzke added 64 runs to stitch a 136-run opening partnership.
Paarl Rocks vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants: Predicted XI
Henry Davids, Cameron Delport, Faf du Plessis (C), James Vince, Kyle Verreynne/Dwaine Pretorius, Sibonelo Makhanya, Isuru Udana, Hardus Viljoen, Bjorn Fortuin, Tabraiz Shamsi, Kerwin Mungroo.
Nelson Mandela Bay Giants
Jason Roy, Matthew Breetzke, JJ Smuts (c), Ben Dunk (wk), Heino Kuhn, Marco Marais, Chris Morris, Onke Nyaku, Nandre Burger, Junior Dala, Imran Tahir.
Pitch Report for today’s MSL T20 match:
The track at Boland Park has seen a good amount of runs so far. Expect a high scoring game.
The last game at the venue saw Durban Heat chase down 195 runs with 7 balls to go.
Out of 4 MSL T20 games at the venue in the correct edition, 3 have been won by teams batting 2nd while the team defending a target have won it once.
Average first innings score during these games: 169.5
Today’s match: Paarl Rocks vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants Prediction
- Rocks have won 4 of their last 6 games. Meanwhile, Bay Giants have won their last 2 games after back to back defeats ended their 5 games unbeaten streak.
- Rocks’ Tabraiz Shamsi is in the top 5 wicket takers in the tournament so far, having picked 12 wickets at an average of 18. Meanwhile, Bjorn Fortuin has picked up 8 wickets. Expect them to pick few wickets even though Bjorn went wicket-less in his last 2 games, against Jozi Stars and Durban Heat.
- Paarl Rocks’ James Vince is in the top 10 run scorer in the tournament with 217 runs from 7 games at a strike rate of 144.6. Delport is just 10 runs behind him, with Du Plessis further 13 runs behind.
- Giants’ Ben Dunk is just 5 runs behind MSL 2019 top scorer Janneman Malan (358) and might go past him. De Kock is also in the list. However, there’s a huge gap between them.
- Meanwhile, Giants’ Imran Tahir has picked 14 wickets and is the 2nd highest wicket taker in the series, behind Cape Town’s Dale Steyn. He might even go past Steyn’s tally. Junior Dala is 4th in the list with 12 wickets and might rise a few places.