Mzansi Super League Predictions: Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Durban Heat
November 23, 2019,
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
An outstanding Nelson Mandela Bay Giants host strugglers Durban Heat in the 14th game of the MSL T20. While Bay Giants have won 3 of their 4 games to seat on the top of the table, Heat are struggling at the moment. Rain has somewhat saved them- they have lost 1 game while 3 other games have been called off.
Nelson Mandela Bay Giants’s performance in MSL T20:
Junior Dala and Imran Tahir earlier picked up three wickets each for the Giants in their game against Jozi Stars and backed that up with 2 wickets each in the last game.
They are expected to stick to the winning combination.
Matthew Breetzke replaced Grant Thompson in their last game and even though he was dismissed for a golden duck, he should manage to keep his place.
Probable XI: Jason Roy, Ben Dunk (wk), JJ Smuts (C), Heino Kuhn, Grant Thompson, Marco Marais, Chris Morris, Onke Nyaku, Nandre Burger, Junior Dala, Imran Tahir
Durban Heat’s performance in MSL T20:
Heat are coming on the back of a washed out game where they were reduced to 21-3 while chasing 142.
Wihan Lubbe, who had starred in their 10-run loss against Cape Town Blitz, was dismissed on the first ball in the last game.
Alex Hales has been unpredictable in recent past but should get confidence from the fact he managed to survive Lungi Ngidi and was unbeaten when the last game was stopped.
Predicted playing XI: Alex Hales, Wesley Marshall, Wihan Lubbe, Dane Vilas (C & WK), David Miller, Ravi Bopara, Andile Phehlukwayo, Malusi Siboto, Prenelan Subrayen, Keshav Maharaj, Kyle Abbott.
Pitch and Weather prediction for today’s MSL T20 match:
The 2 games played at the venue thus far have seen batsmen getting the better of the bowlers. While 167 runs were defended in the first game, 187 was chased down in the 2nd. Expect another high scoring game which makes the powerplay crucial.
Record this season at the venue:
Batting first-1, batting second-2
Average first innings score- 176.5
Average second innings score- 166.
Who will win today’s cricket match?
- 26 wickets have fallen at the venue so far, expect another exceptional performance from at least one bowler from each side.
- 82 boundaries have been scored so far at the venue, expect it to touch 100 in the first innings itself.
- The Bay Giants are yet to lose a game this MSL T20 and it looks highly unlikely that it will come against Durban Heat.
- Jason Roy has performed in sequence. Failed the 1st time he batted, starred when he got the 2nd chance, then failed again on the 3rd attempt. It makes him dangerous ahead of the fourth time he comes out to bat.
- Giants’ Heino Kuhn is having an average tournament, if not an outstanding one, and might once again give a consistent performance.
- Chris Morris played another cameo in the last game- 19 runs from 9 balls, and starred with ball – 2 wickets for 33 runs, to prove his all-round capabilities and he might be the key for the Giants.
- Meanwhile, JJ Smuts was phenomenon and can be among the runs once again.
- After starring with the bat in their previous game, Lubbe, who scored 83 runs off 42 balls, was dismissed the first ball. However, he should add to his tally of 7 fours and 5 sixes.