Mzansi Super League Today Match Prediction: Cape Town Blitz vs Jozi Stars
November 14, 2019,
Newlands, Cape Town
After beating Jozi Stars by 15 runs in the Mzansi Super League opener, Cape Town Blitz were blown away by Paarl Rocks in the next game. However, facing a team they have already beaten should give Cape Town some confidence.
Meanwhile, defending champions Jozi Stars are already struggling early in the campaign and must be eager to bounce back before too much damage is done. Having lost to Cape Town in the opener, they were then beaten by Nelson Mandela Bay Giants in the second game and find themselves on the bottom of the table.
Cape Town Blitz performance in MSL t20:
Asif Ali is expected to play the game as the T20I series against Australia concluded recently. Same is the case with Wahab Riaz, who might replace Aviwe Mgijima.
Moeen Ali was signed to play only two matches of the season and he won’t be available further.
Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen and Chris Gayle will be the leading batters for the Jozi Stars.
Predicted playing XI: Janneman Malan, Quinton de Kock (C & WK), Asif Ali, Liam Livingstone, George Linde, Mohammad Nawaz, Wahab Riaz, Vernon Philander, Sisanda Magala, Dale Steyn, Anrich Nortje.
Jozi Stars’s performance in MSL t20:
23-year-old all-rounder Delano Potgieter came into the side in the last match but hardly had an opportunity to get involved in the game with either bat and ball so he could well be handed another chance ahead of Nono Pongolo in what should be an unchanged side.
Predicted playing XI: Chris Gayle, Reeza Hendricks, Temba Bavuma (C), Rassie van der Dussen, Daniel Christian, Ryan Rickelton (wk), Simon Harmer, Delano Potgieter, Kagiso Rabada, Dane Paterson, Aaron Phangiso.
Pitch and Weather prediction for today’s MSL t20 match:
The surface at Newlands is known to keep everyone interested over the course of 40 overs. Though, all the winners so far in the current season have been the teams batting first, expect the team winning the toss to opt to chase
Average first innings score: 149 (In 20 T20Is played at the venue)
Record of the chasing teams: Won – 6; Lost – 13
MSL Today Match Prediction:
- Anrich Nortje, George Linde and Dale Steyn have already picked a 3-fer each for Cape Town Blitz and are likely to continue their wicket-taking run. One of them might be able to repeat the feat on Thursday.
- None of the Cape Town batsmen managed to score more than 15 in the last game of MSL t20 but they would consider it a one-off thing. However, even in the first game it was Janneman Malan’s superb knock of 99 that may have masked middle order deficiencies.
- The last time the 2 teams met- in the season opener- 411 runs were scored. Expect the runs to flow once again.
- 57 boundaries were scored in their last head to head games and given the fire power these teams possess don’t expect to see a major drop in that number.
- With the teams batting first winning all the finished games so far, and the pitch favouring them (teams defending have won 13 and lost just 6) don’t be surprised if the team batting first manage to defend the target once again.
- Quinton de Kock scored 35 in the opener and 14 in the 2nd game. He must be itching to finally go big and get back to form early in the tournament.
- Reeza Hendricks has scored back to back fifties and might go on to make it 3 in a row.
- Chris Gayle has scored 17 and 18 runs in the first 2 games and it might be the game, he finally leaves the poor run behind him.