Super Smash 2019-20 Match Prediction: Central Stags vs Northern Knights
December 13, 2019
McLean Park, Napier
Defending champions Central Stags host Super Smash 2018-19 runners-up Northern Knights in the Super Smash 2019-20 opener. The League once again feature six competing teams playing in a double round-robin format during the league stage.
However, the tournament has been hampered by New Zealand vs Australia test series as many big Kiwis players will miss Super Smash 2019-20.
Northern Knights’s performance in Super Smash T20:
Northern Knights are one of the most successful teams in Super Smash. They have won the tournament twice while have finished as runners-up on 2 occasions. They won their maiden title in 2013-14 when they defeated Otago Volts in the final at Hamilton. Their most recent title triumph came in the 2017-18 season when they thumped Central Stags by nine wickets in the final. Super Smash 2018-19 saw the Knights topping the points table with seven wins from ten matches to make a direct entry to the final.
Dean Brownlie and Daryl Mitchell will be the ones to watch out for with the bat. Daryl Mitchell was one of the leading run-scorers last season with 323 runs. Ish Sodhiwill lead the charge with the ball in the absence of Trent Boult, Tim Southee, Neil Wagner and Mitchell Santner. Scott Kuggeleijn finished as Knight’s best bowler – 13 wickets – in Super Smash 2018-19.
Central Stags’s performance in Super Smash T20:
Central Stags are one of the most consistent teams in the tournament having won the Super Smash title 3 times while failing in final on 3 occasions. They won their first title in 2007-08 beating the opponents they face on Friday and they again beat the Knights in the final repeat last season.
Veteran Ross Taylor is missing from the squad so Central Stags will rely mainly on captain Tom Bruce, George Worker, Will Young and Josh Clarkson in the batting department.
Tom Bruce was the tournament’s second-highest run-getter last time with 353 runs at a very healthy strike-rate of 157.58. Will Young too was amongst the runs and played a couple of good knocks. The Stags are well-stocked in the bowling department with the likes of Doug Bracewell, Seth Rance, Blair Tickner, Adam Milne and Ajaz Patel. Blair Tickner was outstanding with the ball last season where he notched up 16 wickets in nine matches.
Central Stags vs Northern Knights Predicted line up:
Tim Seifert (WK), Daniel Flynn, Joe Carter, Dean Brownlie, Henry Cooper, Anton Devcich, Daryl Mitchell, Scott Kuggeleijn, Ish Sodhi, Josef Walker, Brett Randel.
Tom Bruce, Ben Smith, George Worker (wk), Will Young, Dane Cleaver, Josh Clarkson, Ajaz Patel, Blair Tickner, Doug Bracewell, Seth Rance, Adam Milne.
Pitch Report for today's Super Smash T20:
2 international T20 matches have been played at the venue. One of them saw England scored 241/3 in 20 overs while the other saw New Zealand chase down 143 in 18 overs.
Average first innings score- 191
1 game was won by team batting first while the chasing team won the other game.
Meanwhile, out of 3 games played at the venue in Super Smash 2018-19, teams batting first won all 3 games.
Today's T20 Match: Central Stags vs Northern Knights Prediction
- 53 boundaries were hit at the venue in the last T20I played at the venue- between New Zealand and England.
- Tom Bruce was the 2nd highest run scorer in 2018-19 Super Smash season. He scored 353 runs and average of 39.22 at a stunning strike rate of 157.58.
- Daryl Mitchell was Northern Knights and tournaments 3rd top scorer during the 2018-19 Super Smash season. He scored 323 runs with an average 32.30 at a strike rate of 139.22.
- Blair Tickner took 16 wickets in 9 games in 2018-19 Super Smash season with an economy of 7.72.
- Tim Seifert was the most active player behind the wickets in 2018-19 Super Smash season. He was involved in 11 dismissals in just 7 games.
- Dean Brownlie and Tom Bruce were the most active player on the field in 2018-19 Super Smash season. Brownlie took the most 1o catches in the Knights title run while Bruce took 9 catches.