English Premier League Match Prediction: Burnley vs Man United
December 29, 2019
Turf Moor, Burnley
Man United travel to face Burnley in the English Premier League following their thumping win against Boxing Day win over Newcastle. They will be looking to make it successive EPL wins. However, consistency has been a real problem this term, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are currently within touching distance of the fourth Champions League spot.
Meanwhile, Burnley are coming on the back of a 1-0 defeat against Everton which saw their 2-game winning streak end. They would like to get back to winning ways and sense the opportunities knowing Man United have struggled against the ‘average’ sides so far in EPL.
Burnley vs Man United Line up:
Burnley forward Ashley Barnes is set to return to the starting line-up at home to Manchester United after being rested for the defeat at Everton.
Midfielder Jeff Hendrick is back after missing that match through suspension, although Johan Berg Gudmundsson’s first appearance since early October after coming on as a substitute gives Sean Dyche more options.
Winger Aaron Lennon could return after illness while Matej Vydra is back in the squad having been given time off following the birth of his baby on Christmas Eve.
Johann Gudmundsson returned from injury in the 1-0 defeat to Everton.
Man United’s performance in EPL 2019:
Scott McTominay looks set to miss Manchester United’s trip to Turf Moor. The Scotland midfielder was replaced by Paul Pogba at half-time against Newcastle on Boxing Day with what manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer suspects is knee ligament damage. McTominay was seen leaving Old Trafford on crutches.
Axel Tuanzebe missed Thursday’s match through injury, while Marcos Rojo, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Eric Bailly are long-term absentees. Nemanja Matic and Diogo Dalot are among those pushing to be included in the squad for Burnley.
Despite scoring against Newcastle, Mason Greenwood is expected to drop to the bench for Daniel James at Burnley.
Paul Pogba got 45 minutes under his belt on Boxing Day and will surely come into consideration for a start at Turf Moor.
Andreas Pereira played well against Newcastle and will challenge Jesse Lingard for a starting berth here.
Luke Shaw has suffered from muscle injuries in the past and two games in the space of a couple of days may put him in serious danger of another. Ashley Young is on standby.
Burnley vs Man United Predicted line-up:
Nick Pope; Matthew Lowton, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, Charlie Taylor; Jeff Hendrick, Ashley Westwood, Jack Cork, Dwight McNeil; Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes.
David de Gea; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Ashley Young; Fred, Paul Pogba; Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Danie James; Anthony Martial.
Burnley vs Man United: Today's Match Prediction
- Since winning their first ever English Premier League meeting with Man Utd in August 2009, Burnley are winless in their subsequent nine against them in the competition (D4 L5).
- Manchester United have conceded just one goal in their five English Premier League away games against Burnley, keeping a clean sheet in each of the last four and winning the last three.
- Burnley haven’t lost their last league game in a calendar year since 2012 (0-1 vs Leicester in the Championship), winning three and drawing three since.
- Manchester United haven’t lost their last league game in a calendar year since 2011 (2-3 vs Blackburn Rovers), winning four and drawing three since.
- None of Burnley’s last 16 English Premier League home games have finished level, with the Clarets winning eight and losing eight at Turf Moor. No other side is a longer run without a draw at home in the competition.
- Burnley have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 6 home matches against Man Utd in all competitions.
- Man Utd have kept a clean sheet in their last 4 away matches against Burnley in all competitions.
- Man Utd have won their last 3 away matches against Burnley in all competitions.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Burnley’s last 3 EPL games.