Champions League Predictions: Barcelona vs Dortmund
November 28, 2019,
Camp Nou, Barcelona
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning.
Barcelona welcome Borussia Dortmund to Camp Nou on Wednesday night in a vital game for group F complexion. A win for either side will send them through, probably as the group leaders, to the next round while the other team will have to wait and see Inter Milan’s results. It will be easier for Barcelona as in case of a loss, they will have to beat Inter in their next game of Champions League 2019.
While criticism continues to go the way of manager Ernesto Valverde, Barcelona are still well placed to achieve their goals for the first half of the campaign. However, defeat on Wednesday would throw up the possibility of an early exit from Champions League, piling further pressure on Valverde.
Barcelona’s performance in Champions League:
With Luis Suarez back from injury, Antoine Griezmann is again forced to play out wide and out of position.
Unless Barcelona stick with the 4-2-3-1 formation used at the weekend, former Borussia Dortmund winger Ousmane Dembele looks set for a place on the bench here.
Full-backs Jordi Alba and Nelson Semedo will miss out for Barcelona in midweek. Junior Firpo will deputise for Alba, while Sergi Roberto is fresh to start at right-back after serving a ban at the weekend.
Clement Lenglet suffered a calf injury before their 2-1 win over Leganes at the weekend but trained without problem on Monday. With Gerard Pique suspended on Wednesday, Lenglet will partner Samuel Umtiti at the back.
They will most probably stick with 4-3-3 formation.
Expected starting XI: Marc-Andre ter Stegen; Sergi Roberto, Samuel Umtiti, Clement Lenglet, Junior Firpo; Arthur, Sergio Busquets, Frenkie De Jong; Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann.
Borussia Dortmund’s performance in Champions League:
Paco Alcacer will miss out against former club Barcelona after coming off at half-time in Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Paderborn with injury.
With Alcacer ruled out, Lucien Favre must decide whether to start Mario Gotze up front or push Marco Reus further forward.
The likes of Julian Brandt, Thorgan Hazard and Achraf Hakimi were only used as substitutes at the weekend to suggest they were being held back for this game.
It was not long ago Jadon Sancho was considered a guaranteed starter for Dortmund but that is no longer the case after a testing few months for the German side.
Raphael Guerreiro and Nico Schulz are in competition for a starting berth at left-back for Dortmund.
Hazard will miss Dortmund’s final group game if he is booked on Wednesday.
They are likely to use 4-2-3-1.
Expected starting XI: Roman Burki; Lukasz Piszczek, Weigl, Mats Hummels, Raphael Guerreiro, Manuel Akanji; Axel Witsel, Julian Weigl; Jadon Sancho, Achraf Hakimi, Julian Brandt; Marco Reus.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- Barcelona are undefeated in 15 of their last 16 UEFA Champions League matches.
- Barcelona will be pleased this game is at Camp Nou, as they have not been impressive on the road of late. At home, the Spanish giants are unbeaten this season and have only failed to win one game.
- Dortmund have only won one of their last six away matches and have failed to score in the last three. Even though Barcelona are missing key defenders, Dortmund arrive into this match at a bad moment.
- Achraf Hakimi is Dortmund’s top scorer in the Champions League so far this season with 4 goals and might scrap another goal.
- Barcelona and Dortmund played a lacklustre 0-0 draw in the first game, with Messi coming off the bench. However, this game promises goals.
- Dortmund have scored more goals than Barcelona in the campaign so far. However, they have also conceded more. Expected them to concede more than they score on Wednesday night.
- Barcelona have won 13 of their 15 home games in the Champions League against German sides, losing 2. They have never lost against Dortmund in 3 attempts- won 1. Expect it to stick this way.
- Barcelona’s draw against Slavia Prague in the last game was the 11th time in 124 home games in Champions League that they failed to score. However, it has never happened in back to back games and might not happen on Wednesday either.
We are eager to see the Champions League Results this season and hope these predictions helped you.
Follow our Blog for your Daily Fantasy Football Fix