Champions League Predictions: Manchester City vs Shakhtar Donetsk
November 27, 2019,
Etihad Stadium, Manchester
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning.
Manchester City welcome Shakhtar Donetsk to the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday night as they look to book their place in the last 16 of the Champions League. A point will suffice for Pep Guardiola’s men but the Citizens will be looking for a victory after they got back to winning ways against Chelsea on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Shakhtar will be hoping for a result against City as they look to keep their hopes of progressing to the last 16 alive. They are joined by Atalanta on 2nd in the group with 5 points each.
Manchester City’s performance in Champions League:
Rodrigo, Sergio Aguero and David Silva all limped off through injury against Chelsea on Saturday and it’s safe to assume all three will miss out here.
Phil Foden returns from suspension for Manchester City and will hope to start given the midfield absences.
Bernardo Silva missed the weekend’s victory over Chelsea due to a ban and will slot straight back into the side here, either in midfield or further forward.
Look for Kyle Walker and Angelino to return to the side, while Nicolas Otamendi will push for a recall.
Benjamin Mendy and Fernanindho will miss the last group game if they are booked on Tuesday.
Claudio Bravo is suspended for the home side after being sent off last time out in Europe but he wouldn’t have started anyway as Ederson is now back from injury.
City are expected to use their typical 4-3-3 formation.
Expected starting XI: Ederson; Angelino, Fernandinho, John Stones, Joao Cancelo; Ilkay Gundogan, Kevin de Bruyne, Phil Foden; Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling, Bernardo Silva.
Shakhtar Donetsk’s performance in Champions League:
Marlos Bonfirm will miss Tuesday’s trip to Manchester after being sent off in Shakhtar Donetsk’s last outing in the Champions League. Meanwhile, Sergiy Bolbat will miss their last group game if he is booked here.
Maycon made his long-awaited return from injury on Friday with a nine-minute cameo from the bench but is not ready to start for Shakhtar just yet, particularly against Manchester City.
Yevhen Konoplyanka has missed Shakhtar’s last two games and remains a doubt on Tuesday, while Manor Solomon remains sidelined along with Moraes.
Fringe players like Andriy Boryachuk and Tete should get starts in attack given the players unavailable for the away side. Sergiy Bolbat and Dodo compete for a start at right-back.
They will likely field a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Expected starting XI: Andriy Pyatov; Sergiy Bolbat, Mykola Matvyenko, Sergey Kryvtsov, Ismaily; Alan Patrick, Taras Stepanenko; Tete, Viktor Kovalenko, Taison; Andriy Boryachuk.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 9 of Shakhtar’s last 10 UEFA Champions League games. With the kind of form City are in expect the same to happen once again. Manchester City have scored at least 3 goals in their last 3 matches against Shakhtar in all competitions.
- Manchester City have kept a clean sheet in their last 3 matches against Shakhtar in all competitions. However, City have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last five games across all competitions and might struggle once again.
- Manchester City have won their last 3 matches against Shakhtar in all competitions, it will extend by another number.
- Manchester City are undefeated in 12 of their last 13 UEFA Champions League matches.
- Shakhtar have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 UEFA Champions League matches. They might not do it again.
- Shakhtar have had a player dismissed in four of their last six matches.
We are eager to see the Champions League Results this season and hope these predictions helped you.
Follow our Blog for your Daily Fantasy Football Fix