English Premier League Match Prediction: Chelsea vs Southampton
December 26, 2019
Stamford Bridge, North London
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Chelsea will welcome Southampton to Stamford Bridge in the EPL Boxing Day clash. The Blues held onto their 4th place with a victory in the derby with Tottenham, while the Saints moved out of the relegation zone and are currently sitting on the 17th place with 18 points – three above the danger zone.
The win over Spurs moved Chelsea four points clear of English Premier League top 4 and they would be keen to increase that lead further when they host strugglers Southampton on Thursday.
Chelsea’s performance in EPL 2019:
Mateo Kovacic serves a one-match ban for Chelsea due to an accumulation of bookings. Jorginho will return to the starting XI as a result.
Fikayo Tomori returned from injury to start in Sunday’s 2-0 win at Tottenham.
Reece James should start at right-back after Cesar Azpilicueta suffered a hamstring injury at the weekend.
Emerson will hope to replace Marcos Alonso at left-back on Boxing Day.
Frank Lampard played a three-man defence against Tottenham but may revert to a back four against relegation strugglers Southampton even though the structure played well for them.
Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic will hope to benefit from changes to the starting XI.
Southampton’s performance in EPL 2019:
Southampton got back to winning ways last time out as the picked up huge 3 points in a vital relegation six-pointer against Villa on Saturday.
Danny Ings scored twice in the 3-1 win at Villa and he now has 11 goals for the season and is the joint second highest scorer in the league.
Boss Ralph Hasenhuttl will be tempted to name the same starting eleven for this game given how well they played in the win over Villa.
Chelsea vs Southampton Line up:
Kepa Arrizabalaga; Fikayo Tomori, Antonio Rudiger, Reece James, Emerson; N’Golo Kante, Jorginho; Mason Mount, Willian, Callum Hudson-Odoi; Tammy Abraham.
Alex McCarthy; Cedric Soares, Jan Bednarek, Jack Stephens, Ryan Bertrand; Stuart Armstrong, James Ward-Prowse, Pierre- Emile Hojbjerg, Nathan Redmond; Danny Ings, Shane Long.
Chelsea vs Southampton: Today's Match Prediction
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 8 of Southampton’s last 9 games in the English Premier League.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Chelsea’s last 6 home games in EEPL.
- Southampton have failed to score on their last three trips to Stamford Bridge and haven’t won away to Chelsea since 2015. The home side are favourites.
- Southampton have won three of their last five in the league.
- Danny Ings and Tammy Abraham have scored 11 goals each in the EPL and are the joint-second top scorers. Though Ings has been picking up goals in last few games as well, Abraham has found it difficult since his return from hip injury.
- Christian Pulisic and Mason Mount have scored 5 goals each for Chelsea while Willian scored just his 2 EPL brace in Chelsea’s last game against the Spurs.
- Chelsea have won seven of their last 8 EPL games against Southampton (1 draw), since a 3-1 home loss in October 2015.