English Premier League Match Prediction (EPL 2019): Tottenham vs Liverpool
January 11, 2020, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London
English Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to London to face Tottenham as they look to increase their lead on the top of the EPL 2019-20 table.
Tottenham have been poor of late, winning just one of their last five matches in all competitions. They had to come from behind to rescue their FA Cup tie at Middlesbrough and their recent record against Liverpool is thoroughly underwhelming.
The Reds, meanwhile, are unbeaten in 37 league matches and have won 11 of their last 12 in all competitions, with the sole blip on the record coming in their Carabao Cup defeat at Aston Villa. Having kept a clean sheet in their last five league matches, Liverpool have the means to shut out a Tottenham side without star striker Harry Kane.
Spurs may have lost only two home league matches this season, but a rampant Liverpool side are backed to come away with all three points.
Tottenham’s performance in EPL 2019:
Moussa Sissoko has been ruled out until April following knee surgery and joins Harry Kane, Hugo Lloris, Ben Davies and Tanguy Ndombele on the sidelines.
Jan Vertonghen could start at left-back here should Jose Mourinho elect to revert to a 4-2-3-1 system, though Ryan Sessegnon is an option for the Spurs boss. Danny Rose is also hopeful of coming into contention of facing the league leaders.
Erik Lamela is in contention for a first start since October with Son Heung-Min set to start in attack.
Liverpool’s performance in EPL 2019:
Nathaniel Clyne, Fabinho, James Milner and Naby Keita all miss the trip to Tottenham.
Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren and Xherdan Shaqiri are all closing in on returns to fitness, but the trip to north London is likely to come too soon for the trio.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to start in midfield, though Adam Lallana is an option for Jurgen Klopp.
Tottenham vs Liverpool Predicted line-up:
Paulo Gazzaniga; Jan Vertonghen, Davinson Sanchez, Toby Alderweireld, Serge Aurier; Eric Dier, Harry Winks; Lucas Moura, Dele Alli, Erik Lamela; Son Heung-Min.
Alisson; Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez, Virgil van Dijk, Andrew Robertson; Georginio Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane.
EPL 2019: Tottenham vs Liverpool Prediction
- Liverpool are undefeated in their last 37 PL matches.
- Liverpool have kept a clean sheet in their last 5 EPL 2019-20 matches.
- Liverpool have scored at least 2 goals in 11 of their last 13 away matches in EPL 2019-20.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 8 of Liverpool’s last 10 away games in EPL.
- Spurs have won just one of their last 14 PL meetings with Liverpool, winning 4-1 at Wembley in October 2017.
- Spurs have won 6 of their last 10 EPL home games against sides starting the day top of the table, though they have lost their last 2.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in their last 8 PL games in London.
- Only Norwich have kept as few PL clean sheets as Spurs this season-2.
- Liverpool have scored in 29 consecutive matches. The last team to have a longer run in the EPL was Man Utd – 36 in Nov 2008.
- Sadio Mane has scored 11 goals in PL this season, 1 more than Mohamed Salah.