English Premier League Match Prediction (EPL 2019): Newcastle vs Manchester United
St James' Park, Newcastle
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019. Read more for Newcastle vs Manchester United prediction.
Newcastle United are aiming for a first win at St James’ Park this EPL 2019, against a Manchester United side who are winless on their travels in 2019/20. 10th position in table is not something United fans want from their team, but it looks more likely to further deteriorate rather than improving.
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce will take charge of his 400th English Premier League match (Won- 111 Draw- 111 and Loss- 177) but he is looking for a first win over Man Utd in the 2nd attempt and he would have sensed that there could not have been a better opportunity to break that deadlock.
Meanwhile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer too has started looking for excuses. Since the last 2 games, one among them being against minnows- AZ Alkmaar, the ever-smiling United boss is blaming the referees for dropping points. Irrespective of whether he is right or wrong, this kind of statements don’t really show a positive mindset.
Newcastle United’s performance in EPL 2019:
DeAndre Yedlin made his return from injury in last weekend’s 5-0 defeat away to Leicester, while Sean Longstaff, who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United in the summer, was fit enough to start.
Jetro Willems (knee) is in contention for Newcastle, while Steve Bruce will make a late decision on fit-again striker Dwight Gayle.
Isaac Hayden starts a three-match suspension, joining Matt Ritchie (ankle) and long-term absentee Florian Lejeune (knee) on the sidelines. However, Jonjo Shelvey has made a timely return from injury and is poised to replace Hayden in midfield.
Allan Saint-Maximin has endured an injury-hit start to life at Newcastle but is fit again and Bruce may choose to unleash him from the start here.
Bruce may revert back to a 5-4-1 formation in a bid to frustrate United and that should not prove too difficult.
Martin Dubravka; Jetro Willems, Paul Dummett, Jamaal Lascelles, Fabian Schar, DeAndre Yedlin; Miguel Almiron, Sean Longstaff, Jonjo Shelvey, Allan Saint-Maximin; Joelinton
Manchester United’s performance in EPL 2019:
Jesse Lingard limped off with a hamstring injury in their Europa League game and is a major doubt, along with Paul Pogba (ankle). Meanwhile, Aaron Wan-Bissaka (illness) will be monitored.
Sunday’s match may come too soon for Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial. Eric Bailly and Phil Jones are definitely ruled out.
Victor Lindelof was a surprise starter in midweek, which could see Axel Tuanzebe partner Harry Magurie at centre-back away to Newcastle.
Mason Greenwood might get a first Premier League start of the season.
Solskjaer is likely to use a 4-2-3-1 formation.
David de Gea; Ashley Young, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Axel Tuanzebe; Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic; Daniel James, Juan Mata, Mason Greenwood; Marcus Rashford.
EPL 2019: Newcastle vs Manchester United prediction
- Since beating Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 back in March, Manchester United have failed to win any of their 10 away matches across all competitions (D3 L6). With the kind of form they are in, it looks unlikely they will do so on Sunday either.
- Newcastle have won 3 of their last 31 Premier League games against Manchester United, losing 21, including on both the occasions they met last season. However, this can be a golden opportunity to improve their sorry looking records.
- United have won 13 away Premier League games against Newcastle, their 3rd best away record. But that’s in the past and the current form doesn’t justify it.
- United have failed to score more than once in any of their last 7 Premier League away games. Having youngsters in the team makes they are unpredictable.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in United’s last 4 away English Premier League games as well as in Newcastle’s last 3 home games in the league. So, expect the trend to continue.
- United’s haul of 9 points this season is their worst tally in the top-flight in 30 years but it’s not certain they won’t drop points.
- Newcastle are 19th with 5 points. They have won just 1 and lost 4 of their 7 games so far. However, there are very few teams who are as much in mess as United and Newcastle, who are unbeaten in last 2 league games at home, will fancy their chances.