EPL Predictions 2019: Chelsea vs Arsenal
January 22, 2020, Stamford Bridge
Chelsea look to continue their lead in the PL top 4 when they host Arsenal.
A 1-0 loss at Newcastle saw Chelsea’s four-match unbeaten run in all competitions come to an end and Frank Lampard will be looking to refocus his players ahead of Tuesday’s London derby. However, the Blues have been hugely inconsistent at Stamford Bridge of late, winning two and losing three of their last five.
For the second week running, Arsenal were forced to settle for a point after going ahead and a 1-1 home draw with Sheffield United means they have won only one of their last seven in the league. Their sole defeat in their last six came against Chelsea, however, yet their away form leaves little to the imagination with just two league wins on the road all season.
Chelsea won the reverse fixture 2-1 and we could see a repeat at Stamford Bridge in midweek.
Chelsea performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Frank Lampard lost Reece James to injury in the 1-0 loss at Newcastle and with Marcos Alonso out, Emerson should come into the side, a move that would see Cesar Azpilicueta move to right-back.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Christian Pulisic and Marco van Ginkel make up a five-man injury list for the Blues boss.
Lampard could make a couple of further changes to his XI with Kurt Zouma and Mateo Kovacic among those who may come in, while Ross Barkley and Pedro are pushing for starts.
chelsea predicted XI:
Kepa; Emerson, Antonio Rudiger, Kurt Zouma, Cesar Azpilicueta; N’Golo Kante, Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic; Callum Hudson-Odoi, Tammy Abraham, Willian.
Arsenal performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Sokratis missed the 1-1 draw with Sheffield United and will be assessed, with Mikel Arteta possibly using Shkodran Mustafi alongside David Luiz once more.
With Kieran Tierney out Bukayo Saka may start at left-back again, while on the opposite flank; Hector Bellerin could start.
Sead Kolasinac (left thigh stain) and Reiss Nelson are out until the winter break, the club said.
Matteo Guendouzi may feature in place of Lucas Torreira, while Dani Ceballos and Eddie Nketiah are further options for Arteta.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang remains out which might see Gabriel Martinelli hold his place.
Arsenal predicted XI:
Bernd Leno; Hector Bellerin, Shkodran Mustafi, David Luiz, Bukayo Saka; Matteo Guendouzo, Granit Xhaka; Nicolas Pepe, Mesut Ozil, Gabriel Martinelli; Alexandre Lacazette.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- Arsenal have drawn their last 3 away PL matches.
- Chelsea have scored at least 2 goals in 10 of their last 12 home matches against Arsenal in all competitions.
- Chelsea are undefeated in their last 9 home matches against Arsenal in all competitions.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Arsenal’s last 6 games in PL.
- Arsenal are winless in their last 7 PL away games against Chelsea, lost-6, since winning in October 2011. However, no team has won more away games at Stamford Bridge than Arsenal.
- Chelsea are looking to complete the PL double against Arsenal for the 5th time. Only Liverpool and Manchester United have done so against the Gunners.