English Premere League Match Prediction (EPL 2019): Manchester City vs Chelsea
November 23, 2019
Etihad Stadium, Manchester
Fourth-placed Manchester City are looking to bounce back from their defeat at Liverpool last time out and leapfrog Chelsea, who sit one point above them, whom they host on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Frank Lampard’s Blues are targeting a seventh straight Premier League victory, while they can also secure an eighth consecutive away win in all competitions for the first time.
Manchester City’s performance in EPL 2019:
Pep Guardiola has plenty to ponder after Manchester City dropped nine points behind Liverpool before the international break after a 3-1 defeat to their rivals. The gap could even be 12 if Liverpool beat Crystal Palace before this match.
Rodrigo and David Silva made remarkable recoveries to make the matchday squad against Liverpool and are both expected to start here, while Guardiola will also hope to have Ederson available.
Bernardo Silva serves a one-match ban this weekend after admitting a breach of FA rules. His absence should ensure both Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez start against Chelsea.
Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus are in competition for a starting berth in attack, though Jesus could also feature from one of the wings.
Angelino was a surprise starter against Liverpool last time out for City and should be replaced at left-back by Benjamin Mendy.
As neither John Stones nor Nicolas Otamendi have convinced of late, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Fernandinho and Rodri started at centre-back.
Pep Guardiola is likely to stick to 4-3-3.
Chelsea’s performance in EPL 2019:
A slight hip injury forced Christian Pulisic to pull out of the USA squad during the international break but Frank Lampard will hope to have him available here.
Jorginho will return to the starting XI after serving a one-match ban before the international break. It will be interesting to see how Lampard fits Jorginho, N’Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and Mason Mount into the same XI now everyone is available.
Kovacic would usually have dropped out of the team but he has played so well for Chelsea of late. Mount may even push into the front three at the expense of the likes of Pulisic or Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Cesar Azpilicueta will return at right-back on Saturday after dropping out of the team before the break, but there is still some uncertainty who will start at left-back between Emerson and Marcos Alonso.
Ross Barkley failed to recover from injury in time to stay in Gareth Southgate’s England squad during the break and remains a doubt here. He would only make the bench at best here, anyway.
Chelsea, too, should field 4-3-3.
Manchester City vs Chelsea: Predicted Line-up
Ederson; Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fernandinho, Benjamin Mendy; Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri, David Silva; Riyad Mahrez, Sergio Aguero, Raheem Sterling.
Kepa Arrizabalaga; Cesar Azpilicueta, Kurt Zouma, Fikao Tomori, Emerson; N’Golo Kante, Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic; Willian, Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount
EPL 2019: Manchester City vs Chelsea prediction
- Manchester City have won 23 of their last 26 home matches (Premier League). Chelsea have won their last 6 Premier League matches. However, Chelsea’s run might be halted.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 11 of Man City’s last 13 Premier League games and Chelsea’s last 6 away games and this game is expected to another goal-fest.
- Manchester City have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 matches against Chelsea in all competitions. However, given their struggles so far this season and Chelsea’s dominance – they have scored the most goals on the road (18)- City might struggle to keep clean sheet.
- Chelsea have scored at least 2 goals in their last 5 away Premier League matches.
- Chelsea have won their last six matches in the Premier League and have won five in a row away from home. They are the league’s top scorers on the road this season (18 goals).
- Manchester City have scored the most Premier League goals at home this season 19.
- Sergio Aguero has scored 10 Premier League goals against Chelsea, more than any other player in the competition. The Argentinian has netted eight goals in his last six outings.
- Tammy Abraham’s tally of seven away goals is the best return by a Premier League player in 2019/20. It is equal to, or better than, 15 of the other 19 clubs in the division.
- Christian Pulisic, who has scored five goals in his last three Premier League matches, can become the first American to score in four consecutive appearances in the competition.