EPL Predictions 2019: Manchester United vs Aston Villa
December 1, 2019,
Old Trafford, Manchester
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Manchester United will be looking to return to winning ways when they welcome Aston Villa to Old Trafford in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are currently ninth in the table on 17 points, while Villa sit 15th having collected 14 points from their opening 13 matches of the 2019-20 campaign.
Manchester United’s youngsters lost 2-1 away to Astana on Thursday night but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should have a fresh team on Sunday after leaving his first-choice XI behind in England.
Aston Villa ended a three-game losing streak with a solid 2-0 win at home to Newcastle on Monday night. Other than a 5-1 win at Norwich, Villa have struggled on the road this season
Manchester United’s performance in EPL 2019:
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left his entire first-team squad behind for Thursday’s long return trip to Kazakhstan, including first-team coaches Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna, to prepare for Sunday’s welcome of Aston Villa.
Nemanja Matic has been sidelined for the past two months but may come straight into the starting XI on Sunday if fit enough after United struggled in midfield against Sheffield United last weekend.
Andreas Pereira was poor against Sheffield United and does not deserve to start on Sunday, but that depends entirely on whether Matic is available for the home side. Juan Mata did not travel in midweek and is an option to play further forward here.
Phil Jones was hauled off at half-time against Sheffield United and is unlikely to play here. As Axel Tuanzebe featured against Astana in midweek, the only chance of United playing a back three against Villa is if Marcos Rojo recovers from injury.
Luke Shaw made his long-awaited comeback from injury in midweek but will sit out against Villa. Brandon Williams scored his first senior goal last weekend and will hope to keep his place in the team ahead of Ashley Young.
Scott McTominay (ankle) could return for Man Utd, but Sunday’s match comes too soon for fellow midfielder Paul Pogba (ankle).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s defensive options have been boosted by the return from injury of Luke Shaw (hamstring) and Axel Tuanzebe (hip). The duo both played a full 90 minutes in the midweek UEFA Champions League loss to Astana.
They are likely to use 4-2-3-1.
Probable starting XI: David de Gea; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Brandon Williams; Fred, Nemanja Matic; Daniel James, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford; Anthony Martial.
Aston Villa’s performance in EPL 2019:
Dean Smith has no reason to make changes from the side that beat Newcastle 2-0 on Monday night.
Bjorn Engels (hip) has trained all week and is available for selection by Aston Villa, but Jota (hernia) continues to be monitored.
Keinan Davis (hamstring) will resume jogging on Monday but is still deemed to be two to three weeks’ away while Jed Steer (calf) remains sidelined.
Conor Hourihane was key to ending Villa’s three-game losing streak and should be rewarded with another start here, while Anwar El Ghazi, Douglas Luiz and Ezri Konsa should all keep their places.
They are likely to keep the 4-3-3 formation.
Probable starting XI: Tom Heaton; Frederic Guilbert, Ezri Konsa, Tyrone Mings, Matt Targett; Conor Hourihane, John McGinn, Douglas Luiz; Anwar El Ghazi, Wesley, Jack Grealish.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Aston Villa’s last 4 away games (Premier League).
- Aston Villa have lost five of their six away league matches this EPL 2019.
- Man Utd have won 10 of their last 11 matches against Aston Villa in all competitions. They haven’t lost to Villa since 2009. Ashley Young played for Villa on that occasion but will likely only make the bench for United here. The Red Devils are unbeaten in the subsequent 14 matches played between the two sides.
- The Red Devils are unbeaten at home in their last seven matches and have scored three goals in each of their last two at Old Trafford, as many as their previous six combined. Expect them to do so once again.
- With seven goals and four assists, Marcus Rashford has been directly involved in 58 per cent of Man Utd’s 19 Premier League goals this EPL 2019 – only Norwich City’s Teemu Pukki, with 69 per cent, has been involved in more for his side this season.
- Both Aston Villa and Man Utd have conceded a joint low of four first-half goals in the Premier League this season, level with Liverpool and Sheffield United.
Follow our Blog for your Daily Fantasy Football Fix