English Premier League Match Prediction: Manchester United vs Watford
December 22, 2019
Vicarage Road, Watford
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Watford head coach Nigel Pearson takes charge of his first home match looking to secure the Hornets’ first Vicarage Road victory of the season when they host Man United in PL. He is Watford’s 3rd manager of the season.
Meanwhile, sixth-placed Man United are seeking to extend their six-match unbeaten run and close the gap on fourth-placed Chelsea, who are currently four points ahead. They are coming on the back of a 1-1 draw that ended their 2-game winning streak which saw them beat Man City and Spurs in the PL.
Watford’s performance in EPL 2019:
New manager Nigel Pearson has a number of injury doubts at present but his focus will be on shoring things up defensively as they welcome United.
Former Man United players Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck will miss out against their former club on Sunday.
Adam Masina is carrying a thigh injury while Jose Holebas is likely out with an ankle problem so that could leave Pearson without a natural left-back.
Wasteful finishing proved Watford’s downfall against Liverpool last weekend but Nigel Pearson may stick with the same XI.
Manchester United’s performance in EPL 2019:
Man United’s good form continued last week as they drew with Everton and then a much-changed team beat Colchester in the League Cup in midweek.
Mason Greenwood, who scored after coming off the bench against Everton, failed to pile further pressure on Anthony Martial’s starting spot in midweek and is expected to settle for a place on the bench here.
Paul Pogba remains sidelined for Manchester United, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer set to name an unchanged XI from last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Everton.
Juan Mata and Andreas Pereira are in competition with Jesse Lingard for a starting berth in attacking midfield.
Manchester United vs Watford Predicted Line up:
David de Gea; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw; Scott McTominay, Fred; Daniel James, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford; Anthony Martial.
Ben Foster; Kiko Femenia, Craig Cathcart, Christian Kabasele, Adrian Mariappa; Will Hughes, Etienne Capoue; Abdoulaye Doucoure, Ismaila Sarr, Gerard Deulofeu; Troy Deeney.
Manchester United vs Watford Prediction: Today's Match Prediction
- Man United have won 11 of their 12 PL meetings (92 per cent) with Watford. Only against Wigan Athletic do they have a higher win rate (94 per cent) of teams they have played at least 10 times.
- Marcus Rashford has scored 10 Premier League goals this season, one more than Watford. The last Man Utd player to score more before Christmas in a campaign was Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with 11 in 2016/17.
- Nigel Pearson’s only previous home Premier League encounter against Man Utd was in September 2014, winning 5-3 with Leicester City. Only six managers have won their first two home matches against the Red Devils in the English Premier League, most recently Antonio Conte in 2017.
- After going six league matches unbeaten against United between 1984 and 1986, Watford have lost 14 of their last 15 against the Red Devils in the top flight (W1).
- Watford have failed to win 20 of their last 21 PL matches.
- Watford have failed to score in their last 3 PL matches.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Watford’s last 3 PL games.
- Man Utd are undefeated in their last 6 Pl matches.