UEFA Euro Qualifiers: England vs Montenegro Prediction
November 15, 2019,
Wembley Stadium, England
England host Montenegro in their Euro Qualifiers in what is their 1000th game. England are three points clear at the top of Group A, and need just one point from their two remaining games to seal their place at next summer’s Euro 2020 Qualifiers. Meanwhile, Montenegro are out of reckoning after failing to win a single game and would like to end the tournament on a high.
England’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Raheem Sterling will miss the match after the bust-up with Liverpool defender Joe Gomez resurfaced at St George’s Park on Monday. The pair had clashed at Anfield at the end of Liverpool’s 3-1 win over Manchester City on Sunday.
This might boost Jadon Sancho’s chances of starting the game despite a dip in form.
Jordan Henderson is suspended due to an accumulation of yellow cards.
Tom Heaton withdrew from the England squad over the weekend through injury and has been replaced by Sheffield United shot-stopper Dean Henderson.
Ross Barkley has also pulled out of the squad to boost James Maddison’s chances of making his senior England debut.
Fabian Delph is not at full fitness after missing out at the weekend with a hamstring injury and remains a major doubt.
Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Chilwell are by far and away England’s best full-backs at the moment but Gareth Southgate has been loyal to both Kieran Trippier and Danny Rose in the past.
Given the relative lack of experience in midfield on Thursday, the England manager may opt for the Trippier and Rose alongside John Stones and Harry Maguire at the back.
England are likely to stick to the 4-3-3 formation.
Montenegro’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Lazio defender Adam Marusic and Partizan midfielder Aleksandar Šćekic have withdrawn. Montenegro have named a hugely inexperienced set of defenders with the likes of Stefan Savic, Zarko Tomasevic and Marusic unavailable.
Marko Simic is the only defender named with more than 10 caps to his name and he has more than double the amount of international appearances than the other five defenders combined. Dusan Lagator is a midfielder but could drop back.
Marko Vesovic will likely deputise at right-back for the injured Marusic but Momcilo Raspopovic could come in for his senior debut.
Montenegro are expected to use a 4-2-3-1 formation.
England vs Montenegro: Predicted line-up
Jordan Pickford; Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones; Mason Mount, Harry Winks, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; Jadon Sancho, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford.
Danijel Petkovic; Marko Vesovic, Boris Kopitovic, Marko Simic, Risto Radunovic; Dusan Lagator, Nikola Vukcevic; Aleksandar Boljevic, Nebojsa Kosovic, Vladimir Jovovic; Stefan Mugosa.
Euro 2020 Qualifiers: England vs Montenegro Prediction
- Having eased to a 5-1 win in Montenegro back in March, England should see out another comfortable victory at Wembley. If the Three Lions get an early goal, it should be a rout.
- England are undefeated in 30 of their last 32 matches in Euro 2020.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in England’s last 7 European Qualifiers games. Meanwhile, England have scored at least 3 goals in 5 of their last 6 European Championship matches. They might do so once again, despite the absence of their joint top scorer Raheem Sterling.
- Montenegro have failed to score in their last 4 Euro 2020 matches. In fact, they have scored just 3 goals in their campaign so far and despite England’s struggling defence they might struggle to break their draught.
- Montenegro have failed to win their last 9 Euro 2020 matches and they might not be able to change their fortunes on Friday either.
- England are undefeated in their last 5 matches against Montenegro in all competitions- 3 draws, 2 wins. It is in all likelihood expected to stay this way.
- Harry Kane has scored 8 goals in the tournament so far. He has scored in every game and should be able to find the net once again.