UEFA Euro Qualifiers: Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction
November 20, 2019,
Commerzbank-Arena, Frankfurt, Germany
After booking their place in the Euro 2020 with a 4-0 win over Belarus in the last game. However, they need to ensure they earn 3 points when they host Northern Ireland in the last game of their Euro 2020 qualifiers.
Meanwhile, Northern Ireland missed the chance to qualify via the tournament after being held by the Netherlands in the last game. Northern Ireland can still qualify through the play-offs though.
Northern Ireland would like to sign off their campaign on high.
Germany’s performance in European Qualifiers:
There’s not much goal experience in the German squad with Toni Kroos leading the line up just 17 goals. Timo Werner is next in line with 11 and could be under a lot of pressure to improve that tally.
Germany has no injury concerns from the side that faced Belarus on Saturday, and it would not be a surprise to see the same XI sent onto the field.
Indeed, Werner is again expected to join Serge Gnabry in the final third of the field, with Kroos lining up alongside Ilkay Gundogan and Joshua Kimmich in the middle of the park.
Niklas Stark is the only uncapped player in the squad, but Robin Koch only made his second appearance against Belarus, while Lukas Klostermann has just seven international outings to his name.
Kai Havertz and Marco Reus are both unavailable for Low having withdrawn from the squad due to injury.
Germany are expected to use a 4-3-3 formation.
Northern Ireland’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Hull City attacker Josh Magennis is once again expected to lead the line with support from George Saville and Gavin Whyte in the wide areas.
Jonny Evans has been outstanding for Leicester City this Euro 2020 and will start in central defence, with Craig Cathcart, Stuart Dallas and Jamal Lewis making up a familiar-looking back four.
Corry Evans should also keep his spot in the middle of the park, although Aberdeen midfielder Niall McGinn provides an option for potential change.
They are expected to use 4-2-3-1 formation.
Germany vs Northern Ireland: Predicted line-up
Manuel Neuer; Lukas Klostermann, Matthias Ginter, Robin Koch, Nico Schulz; Toni Kroos, Joshua Kimmich, Ilkay Gundogan; Timo Werner, Serge Gnabry, Leon Goretzka.
Bailey Peacock-Farrell; Stuart Dallas, Craig Cathcart, Jonny Evans, Jamal Lewis; Steven Davis, Corry Evans; George Saville, Patrick McNair, Gavin Whyte; Josh Magennis.
Euro 2020 Qualifiers: Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction
- Germany have won their last 5 matches against Northern Ireland in all competitions and are the favourites to do so once again.
- Germany have scored at least 2 goals in their last 7 European Championship matches and might do so once again.
- Germany have won 6 of their last 7 European Championship matches, a run that has seen them move to the top of the table. However, with Holland expecting to overcome Estonia on the same night, they must beat Northern Ireland to claim the top spot. But it is something Germany can very well do.
- Germany has kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 European Championship matches. However, they are unlikely to do so on Wednesday even though Northern Ireland have scored just 8 goals in the tournament.
- Germany have scored 24 goals in the tournament so far and though their next opponents have only conceded 7 goals, Germany should be able to find the back of the net on a few occasions.
- Northern Ireland have lost 2 and won 1 of their last 4 games, with the only win coming in a friendly. This poor run deteriorated their qualifiers campaign after they got off to a flier, winning the first 4. They might be able to trouble the Germans but expecting them to take 3 points might be too much.