UEFA Euro Qualifiers: Kosovo vs England Prediction
November 17, 2019,
Fadil Vokrri Stadium, Kosovo
After blowing their qualification chances with a loss to Czech Republic, Kosovo host England for the first time in the final game of their Euro 2020 qualifiers campaign.
Meanwhile, England are coming on the back off a big 7-0 win over Montenegro in the last game which was their 1000th game. They have already qualified for the Euro finals, as the group leaders. They may need a point to secure their place as one of six top seeds.
Kosovo’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Atdhe Nuhiu scored in the absence of star striker Vedat Muriqi on Thursday and the Sheffield Wednesday forward will be full of confidence ahead of Sunday’s welcome of Group A leaders England. Muriqi misses the game with injury once again.
It remains to be seen what side of team Kosovo will field given this game means nothing to them. Besar Halimi, Edon Zhegrova and Idriz Voca have been regulars for Kosovo in qualifying but were all benched against the Czech Republic. They will push to start here if changes are made.
They are expected to field 4-2-3-1 formation.
Predicted starting XI: Arijanet Muric; Mergim Vojvoda, Amir Rrahmani, Fidan Aliti, Benjamin Kololli; Besar Halimi, Valon Berisha; Edon Zhegrova, Bersant Celina, Milot Rashica; Atdhe Nuhiu.
England’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Gareth Southgate is expected to rotate from the side that started at Wembley, but is unlikely to make wholesale changes.
Jordan Henderson, who was set to return to the side after serving a one-match ban, will miss the game with a viral infection.
Raheem Sterling will also return after being dropped against Montenegro for a training ground altercation with Liverpool centre-back Joe Gomez.
Southgate has fielded seven different back fours in nine games this calendar year and England have looked shaky at times.
The England manager may look to protect Gomez at the weekend after the Liverpool centre-back was booed by supporters at Wembley. Tyrone Mings could replace him.
Joe Gomez injured his knee in the training and will miss out too.
Kieran Trippier could come into the side for Trent Alexander-Arnold, however.
They would stick to the 4-3-3 formation.
Probable starting XI: Jordan Pickford; Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Ben Chilwell; James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford.
Kosovo vs England: Predicted line-up
Arijanet Muric; Mergim Vojvoda, Amir Rrahmani, Fidan Aliti, Benjamin Kololli; Besar Halimi, Valon Berisha; Edon Zhegrova, Bersant Celina, Milot Rashica; Atdhe Nuhiu.
Jordan Pickford; Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Ben Chilwell; James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford.
Euro 2020 Qualifiers: Kosovo vs England Prediction
- Ben Chilwell registered a hat-trick of assists against Montenegro and might once again set up a goal.
- England have scored five or more goals in five different matches this calendar year – more than they have ever managed before. They have 34 goals from 9 games in 2019 and might actually break their record of 38 goals set in 1966.
- England are the leading scorers in Euro 2020 qualifying -33 goals. They have scored 3 goals more than Belgium despite playing a game less. Expect them to run riot once again.
- England have scored 13 goals without reply in their two games since falling to a first qualifying defeat in a decade. However, they have conceded 3 goals in the reverse fixture and are unlikely to grab a clean sheet.
- England are undefeated in 31 of their last 33 European Championship matches and are likely to win it again.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in England’s last 8 European Championship games. Don’t expect that streak to end anytime soon.