Euro 2020 Qualifiers Predictions:France vs Moldova
November 15, 2019,
Stade de France
After dropping points against Turkey in their last Euro 2020 game, France would be eager to bounce back when they host group H strugglers Moldova on Friday. The draw against Turkey means France still need 2 points from their next 2 games to qualify for Euro 2020. However, they might no longer be able to top the group despite having the joint most point, given Turkey lead them on head to head record.
Meanwhile, Moldova have won just 1 of their 8 games and are looking to avoid last place finish in the qualifiers and give new manager Engin Firat a positive start. Moldova had lost the home fixture 4-1 in the first game of the Euro qualifiers.
France’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Blaise Matuidi has withdrawn from the France squad and been replaced by Matteo Guendouzi.
N’Golo Kante started his first game in more than a month at the weekend and will likely start. He will be partnered by either Moussa Sissoko or Corentin Tolisso.
Hugo Lloris is a long-term absentee with veteran Steve Mandanda poised to deputise once again, though Lille ace Mike Maignan is an option to make his senior debut.
With Lucas Hernandez injured, Benjamin Mendy could make his first appearance for France since September 2018. Everton’s Lucas Digne is also an option.
Clement Lenglet is ahead of Presnel Kimpembe in the pecking order to start at centre-back with Raphael Varane.
Olivier Giroud is a regular goalscorer for France and should start on Thursday despite the fact he never plays for Chelsea, while France are boosted by the return of Kylian Mbappe.
Kingsley Coman or Thomas Lemar compete for a starting berth on the left wing, with Antoine Griezmann set to play behind the striker.
France are likely to field a 4-2-3-1 lineup.
Predicted starting XI: Steve Mandanda; Benjamin Mendy, Clément Lenglet, Raphael Varane, Benjamin Pavard; N’Golo Kanté, Corentin Tolisso; Kingsley Coman, Antoine Griezmann, Kylian Mbappé; Olivier Giroud.
Moldova’s performance in European Qualifiers:
Vladimir Ambros has been forced to pull out of the Moldova squad through injury, while 19-year-old Virgiliu Postolachi has also withdrawn.
Veaceslav Posmac will start centre-back but it remains to be seen who will partner the 29-year-old with both Victor Mudrac and Anatolie Prepelita unavailable.
Moldova will also have to find replacements for Eugeniu Cebotaru and Alexandru Suvorov, who have both been ever-presents in qualifying.
Eugen Sidorenco or Vitalie Damascan will lead the line for the away side.
Expect Moldova to park the bus.
Moldova are expected to use a 4-5-1 formation.
Predicted starting XI: Alexei Koselev; Dinu Graur, Veaceslav Posmac, Igor Armas, Oleg Reabciuk; Alexandru Antoniuc, Eugeniu Cociuc, Artur Ionita, Catalin Carp, Radu Ginsari; Eugeniu Sidorenco.
Euro 2020 Qualifiers Predicted Results:
- Antoine Griezmann leads the assist chart in the tournament while Olivier Giroud has scored five times in Group H so far and the pair might combine once again to score a goal.
- France average around 2.5 goals per game in the campaign. Meanwhile, Moldova have conceded at least 2 goals in 9 of their last 11 Euro 2020 matches. France might be able to match that average once again.
- France have conceded just 5 goals and managed clean sheet in 4 of the 8 games so far. Meanwhile, Moldova have failed to score in their last 5 Euro Qualifiers matches. So, don’t be surprised if they end up with another clean sheet.
- Moldova have lost 11 of their last 12 Euro 2020 matches, a run that looks likely to extend.
- France are undefeated in 14 of their last 15 Euro 2020 matches and are unlikely to be stunned on Friday either.
Follow our Blog for your Daily Fantasy Football Fix