International Friendlies Match Prediction: Brazil vs Argentina
November 15, 2019,
King Saud University Stadium, Saudi Arabia
One of international football’s most enduring rivalries will enter its latest chapter on Friday when old enemies Brazil and Argentina renew hostilities. Though it’s just a ‘friendly’ clash, the teams wouldn’t let their arch rivals take the bragging rights in what is the 111th meeting between the two heavyweights.
Lionel Messi’s return should add further fuel to the fire given the Barcelona great was suspended following his comments that Brazil were favoured in the recently completed Copa America.
Brazil’s performance in International Friendlies:
Ederson, Neymar and David Neres are all unavailable for Brazil through injury, with the former’s absence allowing Alisson to start unopposed between the sticks.
Meanwhile, there is no place for Dani Alves, Marcelo, Fernandinho, Vinicius Junior, Everton Soares or Douglas Costa.
Rodrygo, Douglas Luiz and Wesley are among those pushing for a first senior cap, though Tite will likely start with his tried and tested personnel as Brazil and Argentina resume rivalries.
That would see a front three of Willian, Roberto Firmino and Gabriel Jesus, though Richarlison is pushing for a starting spot.
Brazil are expected to field a 4-3-3 formation.
Expected starting XI: Alisson; Danilo, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro; Arthur, Casemiro, Philippe Coutinho; Gabriel Jesus, Roberto Firmino, Willian.
Argentina’s performance in International Friendlies:
Lionel Messi returns to the team following suspension and is expected to start in a front three. Messi missed La Albiceleste’s last four games.
However, head coach Lionel Scaloni has been experimenting with a 3-4-3 in training in the build up to the meeting with Brazil.
That would see Lucas Ocampos start at right wing-back and Leandro Paredes partner Rodrigo de Paul in midfield.
There is surprisingly no place for Angel di Maria despite his sparkling form for Paris Saint-Germain, while teammate Mauro Icardi is also once again excluded.
Lautaro Martinez may also drop out of the XI at the expense of Paulo Dybala.
Expected starting XI: Esteban Andrada; Juan Foyth, Nicolás Otamendi, Germán Pezzella; Marcos Acuna, Lucas Ocampos, Rodrigo De Paul, Leandro Paredes; Lionel Messi; Paulo Dybala, Sergio Agüero.
International Friendlies Predicted Results:
- Following their Copa America success earlier this year, Brazil’s form has nosedived. Indeed, the Selecao are winless in four having drawn three and they’ll aim to up their form with the meeting with old adversaries Argentina.
- La Albiceleste have fared better since their last defeat, that a 2-0 defeat to Brazil at the Copa America, and are unbeaten in five, winning three. However, Argentina have struggled against Brazil in the past winning only one of the last six meetings.
- Brazil may have struggled in the aftermath of the Copa America, but they should get back to winning ways here. Brazil have won 4 and lost 1 of their last 6 games against Argentina and should be able to fend off the challenge from Lionel Messi and Co.
- Argentina have scored 12 goals in their last three games while Brazil have conceded in every single game over that span. With further addition of Lionel Messi, Argentina should be able to score in bundles once again.
- Brazil have scored just 4 goals in their last 4 games while Argentina have conceded just 3 times in their last 4 games. However, Brazil should be able to improve this stat despite their struggles.
Follow our Blog for your Daily Fantasy Football Fix