La Liga Match Prediction: Barcelona vs Real Madrid
December 19, 2019,
Camp Nou, Barcelona
Real Madrid had to score an injury time goal against Valencia to keep the anticipation of this el clasico game against Barcelona at its peak. That goal meant Barcelona and Real Madrid are level on points going into their la liga clash on Wednesday night. A win for either of the team will break them free on the top.
The first el clasico of the season comes 52 days after initially scheduled and will see Barcelona play host.
Barcelona host Real Madrid following a controversial draw against Real Sociedad. The draw ended their 7-game winning run in all competition.
It would also be a battle of the top scorer in the league. Lionel Messi and Karim Benzema both have 12 goals in la liga 2019-20 and are also their team’s leading assists makers.
The corresponding fixture last season saw Suarez steal the show with a fine hat-trick in a 5-1 win for Barcelona, who ran riot despite being without Messi.
Barcelona’s performance in La Liga 2019:
While Messi leads the goal-scorer chart, he has been brilliantly supported by Luis Suarez, who has scored 9 goals, and Antoine Griezmann, who has 6 in the league so far.
Ousmane Dembele remains sidelined while Arthur continues to struggle with injury – something the club are understood to be particularly unhappy with after a couple of snowboarding sessions impacted his recovery.
Nelson Semedo is back available having returned from injury off the bench at the weekend, and his inclusion could be the only change from the draw with Sociedad if Jordi Alba is deemed ready to start two matches in quick succession following his own recent absence.
Real Madrid’s performance in La Liga 2019:
Barring Karim Benzema no player has been able to score goals on a consistent basis for Madrid. Their second highest scorer in the league this season is Sergio Ramos while Gareth Bale has 2.
Real Madrid will still be without their marquee summer signing Eden Hazard for this match, with the former Chelsea player forced to wait for his first taste of the Clasico due to a foot injury.
Hazard is one of a number of absentees for the visitors, with Marcelo, James Rodriguez, Marco Asensio and Lucas Vazquez also sidelined through injury for this match.
Zidane will have Ferland Mendy back available after suspension, though, with the full-back expected to replace Nacho in the side.
Casemiro will also come back into the team after being rested at the weekend, while Vinicius Junior and Gareth Bale are among the other players pushing for a start.
Barcelona vs Real Madrid Predicted line-up:
Ter Stegen; Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Rakitic, Busquets, De Jong; Messi, Suarez, Griezmann.
Courtois; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Mendy; Kroos, Casemiro, Valverde; Rodrygo, Benzema, Vinicius.
La Liga 2019-20 Predictions: Barcelona vs Real Madrid
- Barcelona have scored at least 4 goals in their last 4 la liga home matches.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Barcelona’s last 7 la liga home games.
- Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 7la liga matches.
- Barcelona are unbeaten in their last 6 el Clasico meetings against Real Madrid. They have won 4, having scored 15 goals. However, they have conceded just 4.
- Barcelona have already lost three times in la liga 2019-20, although only one of those has come since September. They have lost just one of their last 17 games across all competitions.
- Real Madrid, too, have lost just one of their last 17 games in all competitions.
- Real Madrid boast second-best defensive record in the league behind only Atletico Madrid. Meanwhile, Barcelona have conceded 8 more than Real. However, Barca have also scored 10 more.
- Lionel Messi has scored 26 Clasico goals.