English Premier League Match Prediction: Liverpool vs Sheffield
January 3, 2020,
Liverpool saw off Wolves in their last EPL clash to extend their unbeaten EPL home run to 50 matches (W40, D10). The result saw them maintain their 13-point advantage on the top of the EPL table, with Leicester City being on 2nd.
Meanwhile, Sheffield United lost 1-0 at Man City on Sunday, their first away league defeat of the season. The defeat meant they dropped to 8th in the table.
This is the first English Premier League meeting between the two sides at Anfield since 2007 when Robbie Fowler scored a brace in a 4-0 win for Liverpool.
Liverpool’s performance in EPL 2019:
Jordan Henderson recovered from a knock to start Sunday’s hard fought win over Wolves.
Jurgen Klopp resisted wholesale changes at the weekend but will surely look to bring in fresh legs here.
Divock Origi, Naby Keita and James Milner will push for starts.
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Nathaniel Clyne, Joel Matip, Fabinho, Dejan Lovren and Xherdan Shaqiri are all out.
Adam Lallana is likely to drop to the bench with Naby Keita likely to come in. However, James Milner is another option and could slot in a right-back if Klopp wishes to rest Alexander-Arnold ahead of the FA Cup Merseyside Derby.
Sheffield United’s performance in EPL 2019:
John Lundstram failed a fitness test prior to their defeat to Manchester City on Sunday and remains a doubt here. Simon Moore is also still a doubt.
David McGoldtrick and Oliver McBurnie will push for recalls, with some changes expected by Chris Wilder at Anfield.
Liverpool vs Sheffield Line up:
Alisson; Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez, Virgil van Dijk, Andrew Robertson; Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita, James Milner; Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane.
Dean Henderson; Chris Basham, John Egan, Jack O’Connell; George Baldock, Oliver Norwood, Luke Freeman, John Fleck, Enda Stevens; Oliver McBurnie, David McGoldrick.
Liverpool vs Sheffield: Today's Match Prediction
- Sheffield’s lost against Man City was their first away defeat in EPL and they would be eager to put that behind and continue their away form.
- Liverpool have won 3 of their last 5 meetings with Sheffield in all competition.
- Sadio Mane has been directly involved in more EPL goals than any other Liverpool player this season -16.
- Oliver Norwood has created more chances (29) than any other Sheffield United player in the EPL this season.
- Liverpool have won their last 17 home matches in the PL.
- Liverpool have been winning at both half time and full time in 11 of their last 12 home matches in PL.
- Liverpool have kept a clean sheet in their last 4 matches in PL.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 7 of Sheff Utd’s last 8 EPL away games.
- Sadio Mane has scored 1 more EPL goal than Mohamed Salah this season and is Liverpool’s top scorer. In addition, Mane also has 6 assists. However, Trent Alexander- Arnold has been outstanding. He has 8 assists so far. He is only behind Man City’s Kevin de Bruyne in terms of assists.