English Premier League Match Prediction: Man City vs Sheffield United
December 29, 2019,
Man City are in danger of slipping into freefall after conceding two goals in the final eight minutes of normal time to lose 3-2 away to Wolves on Friday. The defending champions are 14 points off Liverpool and the Reds have a game in hand. The title race is over and now they need to ensure they aren’t dragged into the race to finish fourth as they host Sheffield United.
Meanwhile, Sheffield United are remarkably seventh in the Premier League. They are level on points with Tottenham and ahead of the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal. The Blades are incredibly unbeaten in away league matches this season and have a real opportunity to prolong that streak against a City side in crisis.
This is the first meeting between the two sides since an FA Cup meeting 11 years ago that ended 2-1 to the Blades. Daniel Sturridge scored the lone goal for City on that occasion. A lot has changed since then for both clubs.
Man City performance in EPL 2019:
Ederson is suspended after being sent off in Friday’s 3-2 defeat away to Wolves. Claudio Bravo will deputise.
There will be some tired legs in the Manchester City camp and Pep Guardiola will have no choice but to wield changes here.
Sergio Aguero was sacrificed midway through the first half as a result of Ederson’s red card and will be fine to start here.
Kevin De Bruyne was substituted off during the second half with this game in mind, so it’s safe to assume he will start against Sheffield United.
Phil Foden, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Ilkay Gundogan will push for starts on Sunday. Guardiola will hope to have Gabriel Jesus available after the Brazilian missed out against Wolves through illness.
Man City predicted XI: Claudio Bravo; Oleksandr Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Nicolas Otamendi, Joao Cancelo; Kevin de Bruyne, Ilkay Gundogan, Phil Foden; Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero, Riyad Mahrez.
Sheffield United performance in EPL 2019:
Back-up goalkeeper Simon Moore is the only injury concern for Sheffield United ahead of Sunday’s trip to the Etihad.
With Manchester City on the ropes, it would be a shame if fitness concerns didn’t allow Chris Wilder to name his strongest side.
The only possible changes may come in attack, with Lys Mousset rotating with one of the strikers.
Sheffield United predicted XI: Dean Henderson; Chris Basham, John Egan, Jack O’Connell; Enda Stevens, John Fleck, Oliver Norwood, John Lundstram, George Baldock; David McGoldrick, Lys Mousset.
Man City vs Sheffield United: Today's Match Prediction
- Manchester City have conceded 23 PL goals in 19 games this season
- Raheem Sterling has been involved in 24 goals in all competitions this season- 20 goals, 4 assists.
- No player has provided more assists in Europe’s big five leagues this season than Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne (11).
- Man City have won 25 of their last 29 home matches in PL.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Man City’s last 10 PL games.
- Man City have kept a clean sheet in their last 3 home matches against Sheff Utd in all competitions.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Sheff Utd’s last 7 away games in PL.
- Sheff Utd are undefeated in their last 9 away matches in PL.
- Man City have scored at least 2 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches in PL.