EPL Predictions 2019: Manchester City vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Etihad Stadium, Manchester
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Manchester City have conceded an early 5-point lead to Liverpool in the title race and are under pressure to make up for the drop points. However, Pep Guardiola’s side are never affected by pressure.
Wolves manager Nuno Espírito Santo had said following their draw against Crystal Palace that the injury time equalise will help them finally begin their season. Since then Wolves have won League Cup game on penalties, defeated Watford to jump from the 19th spot in the table to 13th and then register their first win in Europa League.
Manchester City’s performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Kevin De Bruyne has been ruled out for Man City with a groin injury. The Belgian, who has eight assists and two goals this EPL 2019, joins John Stones (muscle) and long-term absentees Aymeric Laporte and Leroy Sane (both knee) on the sidelines.
Benjamin Mendy and Joao Cancelo both started in the Champions League in midweek but Kyle Walker and Oleksandr Zinchenko are expected back in the team.
As Sergio Aguero started in the Champions League on Tuesday, Gabriel Jesus will hope to start against Wolves on Sunday.
Ilkay Gundogan, David Silva and Bernardo Silva compete for two spots in midfield, with Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez expected to flank the lone striker.
They are expected to field a 4-3-3 formation.
Probable line-up: Ederson; Oleksandr Zinchenko, Nicolas Otamendi, Fernandinho, Kyle Walker; Ilkay Gundogan, Rodrigo, David Silva; Riyad Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling.
Wolves’s performance in the English Premier League 2019:
Portugal forward Diogo Jota is still absent after being sidelined for Wolves’ Europa League win at Besiktas on Thursday with an ankle problem.
However, apart from missing Jota, the visitors have a fully-fit squad to pick from.
They are expected to use a 3-5-2 formation.
Probable line-up: Rui Patricio; Willy Boly, Conor Coady, Romain Saiss; Matt Doherty, Leander Dendoncker, Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Jonny; Raul Jimenez, Diogo Jota.
Today’s Football Match Prediction:
- Man City have only failed to score in one of their last 44 Premier League home matches. They have scored 142 goals in that run, netting five or more on 11 occasions. And though, this goal scoring run is likely to extend, don’t expect Kevin De Bruyne-less City to score 5 or more.
- Wolves are seeking to avoid becoming the first team to get a red card in three successive Premier League away matches since Blackburn Rovers in April 2011.
- Since sharing points in their first home meeting, City have beaten Wolves in all 4 of their next PL games at Etihad.
- 9 of the last 14 goals scored during their meetings have been via set-pieces, including 4 of 5 last season. However, the absence of Kevin De Bruyne may impact this.
- Manchester City have won 19 of their last 21 Premier League matches and given they have already conceded 5-point lead in the title race, they are going to approach every game like hungry lions.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Manchester City’s last 8 Premier League games, with City scoring at least 2 in all of them. Expect the trend to continue with Sergio Aguero and Raheem Sterling in City’s side.
- Manchester City have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 Premier League home matches. However, given the way Wolves perform against the big clubs, it might prove to be too much to ask from a City side, who are still without Aymeric Laporte and John Stones.
- Wolves ended a run of 7 Premier League games without a win against Watford last week but barring any major surprises don’t expect them to build onto that.
- City have scored 27 goals in their opening 7 league games this season and expect them to fire in mass again.
- Man City’s Riyad Mahrez has scored a direct free-kick goal in his last two English Premier League matches. He’s also two goals away from becoming the first Algerian to reach 50 Premier League goals. Wolves’ defensive struggle can help Mahrez.