La Liga Match Prediction: Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao
December 23, 2019,
Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid
Real Madrid will bring their 2019 to a close with a home La Liga fixture against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday night.
Los Blancos are level on points with Barcelona at the top of the table heading into this weekend’s matches, while Bilbao sit seventh with 27 points to show for their efforts this term.
Bilbao, on the other hand, currently sit seventh in La Liga, just three points off the top four. They have only lost four of their 17 league matches and will be looking to challenge for a Champions League spot this term.
Real Madrid’s performance in La Liga 2019:
Barring Karim Benzema no player has been able to score goals on a consistent basis for Madrid. Their second highest scorer in the league this season is Sergio Ramos while Gareth Bale has 2.
A record of 10 wins, six draws and one defeat has seen Los Blancos collect 36 points. They have the joint-second best defensive record in the league this term, while their performance at Camp Nou on Wednesday would have given their fans plenty of confidence heading into the winter break.
Madrid are also unbeaten at the Bernabeu in all competitions this season, while they have won six of their last seven league fixtures on home soil, which is an indication of the size of the task facing Bilbao.
Madrid will once again be without Marco Asensio, Lucas Vazquez, Eden Hazard and Marcelo through injury, while James Rodriguez remains on the sidelines despite stepping up his recovery from a knee problem by taking part in training this week.
Casemiro is suspended after picking up a booking against Barca, meanwhile, meaning that Luka Modric could return alongside Federico Valverde and Toni Kroos in midfield.
There is also likely to be a change in the final third with Rodrygo Goes pushing to replace Gareth Bale, although Isco is expected to keep his spot having impressed against Ernesto Valverde’s side.
Athletic Bilbao’s performance in La Liga 2019:
Bilbao, meanwhile, were in Copa del Rey action on Thursday, recording a 3-0 win over Tercera Division side Intercity. They have only taken a point from their last two league fixtures, though, losing at Real Betis before being held at home by Eibar last weekend.
Ander Capa will be unavailable through suspension having picked up a booking against Eibar last weekend, while Yeray Alvarez, Oscar de Marcos, Iker Muniain and Artiz Aduriz are on the treatment table.
The visitors will be far from at full strength heading into this match, and Raul Garcia could again start in the centre-forward position with support from Inaki Williams and Inigo Cordoba in the wide areas.
Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao Predicted Line-up:
Thibaut Courtois; Dani Carvajal, Raphael Varane, Sergio Ramos, Ferland Mendy; Federico Valverde, Luka Modric, Toni Kroos; Rodrygo, Karim Benzema, Isco.
Unai Simon; Lekue, Inigo Martinez, Unai Nunez, Yuri Berchiche; Dani Garcia, Unai Lopez; San Jose, Inaki Williams, Inigo Cordoba; Raul Garcia
Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao: Today's Match Prediction
- Real Madrid have won 14 of their last 15 home matches against Athletic Bilbao in all competitions.
- Real Madrid have seen over 2.5 goals in 14 of their last 15 home matches against Athletic Bilbao in all competitions.
- Real Madrid have scored at least 2 goals in 14 of their last 15 home matches against Athletic Bilbao in all competitions.
- Real Madrid have won 6 of their last 7 la liga home matches.
- Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 8 la liga matches.
- Real Madrid have lost just one of their last 18 games in all competitions.
- Real Madrid boast second-best defensive record in the league behind only Atletico Madrid. Meanwhile, Barcelona have conceded 8 more than Real. However, Barca have also scored 10 more.
- Karim Benzema is la liga 2019-20’s top scorer (before this gameweek) with 12 goals. In addition, he also has 5 assists, only 1 less than leader Lionel Messi. He is likely to add to his tally.
- Both the sides have only conceded 12 goals each in la liga 2019-20.
- Bilbao have not triumphed in the league at the Bernabeu since February 2005, and it is a big ask for the Basque outfit to overcome Zidane’s outfit on Sunday night.