Today’s Football Match Prediction: Tottenham vs Southampton
September 28, 2019,
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
After winning the Premier League opener against Aston Villa and sharing spoils against Manchester City in the next game, it seemed Spurs were primed for a great season and manager Mauricio Pochettino might finally end his trophy draught at the club. However, a string of poor results followed with Spurs winning just 1 of the next 6 games and getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup.
The situation worsened so much that there has been a hint of feud in the team with Pochettino going to the extent of saying that they are unsettled. However, there could hardly have been a better team than Southampton for the last season’s Champions League runners-up to sort things out ahead of a vital Champions League clash with Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Both teams are seeking to bounce back from a defeat last weekend, against Leicester City and Bournemouth respectively, and secure a third victory of the season.
Squads and Predicted Lineups:
Spurs’ last eight Premier League victories have come at home. They last had a longer run of wins exclusively at home between April 2000 and January 2001, with 10.
Spurs will once again be without their high profile summer signing Giovani Lo Celso, who picked up a hip injury whilst on national duty with Argentina. Juan Foyth should be available for selection, though Pochettino is unlikely to risk him. Another new signing, Ryan Sessegnon, will also miss the game with a hamstring injury.
Lucas Moura and Christian Eriksen could find themselves on the bench after few poor showings. Spurs are expected to follow a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Predicted line-up: Hugo Lloris; Serge Aurier, Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen, Danny Rose; Harry Winks, Tanguay Ndombele; Dele Alli, Erik Lamela, Son Heung-Min; Harry Kane.
Moussa Djenepo is the only real injury concern for Southampton, with a muscular strain. Signed from Standard Liege in June, he has already scored twice for the Saints. Danny Ings will likely be rewarded with a start following his brace against Portsmouth.
Southampton are expected to follow a 4-3-3 formation.
Predicted line-up: Angus Gunn; Cedric Soares, Jan Bednarek, Jannik Vestergaard, Ryan Bertrand; Ward-Prowse, Oriol Romeu, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg; Nathan Redmond, Che Adams, Ings.
With this, we move on to predicting which team will today’s match?
- Spurs have won seven of their last eight Premier League home matches against Southampton, losing the other 2-1 in May 2016. However, given the kind of form they are in Southampton can prove to be a tricky opposition and might spring a surprise this EPL 2019.
- Southampton are looking to win 3 consecutive top-flight away matches for the first time since February 2015, when they had a run of four.
- Spurs have won 81 games against Southampton but 63 defeats, including in their last meeting 6 months ago, suggest the Saints can pile more misery on Pochettino’s side. They had defeated Spurs 3 times in a row from January 2003 to March 2004.
- Spurs have lost 10 of their 24 league games in 2019 so far, their most in a single calendar year since 2014, when they had lost 12. Of the sides who haven’t been relegated, only Brighton- 13, Watford- 12, and Bournemouth- 11 have lost more than Spurs.
- Harry Kane has scored 4 goals so far this season and given the kind of player he is – he scores in bunches – this can be his game. He has scored 6 goals in his last 4 league games against the Saints.
- James Ward-Prowse, who played under Pochettino, has created more chances (9) and attempted more shots (10) than any other Southampton player in the Premier League this season. He famously scored the free-kick in Southampton’s win against Spurs in their last meeting.