UEFA Europa league Match Prediction: AZ Alkmaar vs Man United
December 13, 2019,
Old Trafford, Manchester
Man United host Alkmaar in Europa League in quest to finish the pool on top. Man United are just 1 point clear of Alkmaar on the top and a defeat would see them concede the top spot. However, both the teams are assured of going through to the next round.
Man Utd will be full of confidence after successive wins over Spurs and Man City in the Premier League but they have generally struggled against teams like AZ Alkmaar.
AZ Alkmaar should also fancy their chances on Thursday, especially if Man United wield the changes they are expected to do. The reverse fixture finished 0-0 and Alkmaar were unfortunate not to win. Even though Man Utd were excellent against Man City at the weekend, it would not be at all surprising if they turned in a lethargic display on Thursday night.
Man Utd’s performance in the UEFA Europa League:
Even though Manchester United need to avoid defeat to secure top spot in Group L, expect Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to ring the changes from Saturday’s derby victory.
Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood missed Man Utd’s Under-23s game on Monday night, which suggests they might be in line to feature against AZ Alkmaar on Thursday evening.
Juan Mata, Axel Tuanzebe, Sergio Romero, Mason Greenwood, Andreas Pereira, Ashley Young, Brandon Williams, Angel Gomes and Tahith Chong are expected to start on Thursday.
Paul Pogba is closing in on a return from an ankle problem but is unlikely to have recovered in time for Thursday night.
Nemanja Matic could even make a rare appearance if fit enough. It remains to be seen whether Phil Jones will be trusted to start or whether Solskjaer will give Di’shon Bernard another run out.
Alkmaar’s performance in the UEFA Europa League:
Boyhood Manchester United supporter Myron Boadu will miss the chance to play at Old Trafford after being sent off in AZ Alkmaar’s penultimate Europa League game. 21-year-old Ferdy Druijf will hope to start in the absence of Boadu up front.
Fredrik Midtsjo will miss AZ Alkmaar’s first knockout game if he is booked on Thursday.
Former Aston Villa centre-back Ron Vlaar was fit enough for the bench at the weekend and should be fine to start here, otherwise former Southampton midfielder Jordy Clasie will be called upon at the back once again.
AZ Alkmaar vs Man United: Predicted line-up
Marco Bizot; Jonas Svensson, Stijn Wuytens, Jordy Clasie, Owen Wijndal; Dani de Wit, Fredrik Midtsjo, Teun Koopmeiners; Calvin Stengs, Ferdy Druijf, Oussama Idrissi.
Sergio Romero; Ashley Young, Axel Tuanzebe, Di’shon Bernard, Brandon Williams; Nemanja Matic, Andreas Pereira; Angel Gomes, Juan Mata, Tahith Chong; Mason Greenwood
Europa League: AZ Alkmaar vs Man United Prediction
- Alkmaar are undefeated in their last 12 Europa League matches.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in AZ Alkmaar’s last 3 Europa League games, with them scoring at least 2 goals in those games.
- Alkmaar have won eight of their last nine matches in all competitions and have kept a clean sheet in each of those victories.
- Man United managed to keep clean sheets in their first 4 Europa League 2019-20 games. However, they conceded 2 in their last Europa League game against Astana after fielding a second-string side.
- Though Man United top the table they haven’t really been clinical. They have scored just 6 goals in 5 games.
- Alkmaar have scored 15 goals in their 5 games and have conceded just 4.
- Man Utd have won their last 2 games after a 3-game winless streak.
- Man Utd have won 6 of their previous 8 home games against the Dutch sides in all competitions.
- Alkmaar have lost all 5 away games against English sides in all competitions.
- Mason Greenwood has been directly involved in 75 percent of Man Utd’s home goals in Europa League this season. He has 2 goals and 1 assist. Man Utd have scored 4 goals.