English Premier League Match Prediction: Arsenal vs Chelsea
December 29, 2019
After managing a draw against Bournemouth in Mikel Arteta’s first game in charge, Arsenal host Chelsea in a bid to move up in the table. They are currently in the bottom half of the table.
Meanwhile, Chelsea will look to bounce back from their 2-0 loss to Southampton as their lead in top 4 is almost blown and another dropped point might see them drop out of Champions League spot.
Arsenal’s performance in EPL 2019:
Calum Chambers is available again after serving a one-match ban. As Sokratis came off against Bournemouth with a knock, Chambers could slot straight into defence here.
Mesut Ozil recovered from injury to start Mikel Arteta’s first game in charge of Arsenal.
Nicolas Pepe and Matteo Guendouzi will hope to benefit from any rotation applied.
Gabriel Martinelli (thigh) missed out on Boxing Day through injury and remains a doubt. Hector Bellerin (hamstring), Rob Holding (knee) and Dani Cellabos (hamstring) will be assessed, while Sead Kolasinac (ankle) and Kieran Tierney (shoulder) remain out.
Chelsea’s performance in EPL 2019:
Frank Lampard will certainly make changes from the side that lost 2-0 at home to Southampton on Boxing Day.
The Chelsea head coach will desperately hope Mason Mount is fit enough to start, while Mateo Kovacic will return to the side after missing out on Thursday through suspension.
Marcos Alonso will hope to start at left-back, but Lampard may opt for Cesar Azpilicueta on that side and Reece James at right-back.
Despite struggling against Southampton, Lampard afterwards suggested Callum Hudson-Odoi would be rewarded with game time after impressing in training.
Reece James and Marcos Alonso missed the defeat by Southampton, with the latter more likely to be fit to play.
Arsenal vs Chelsea Line up:
Bernd Leno; Bukayo Saka, David Luiz, Calum Chambers, Ainsley Maitland-Niles; Matteo Guendouzi, Granit Xhaka; Nicolas Pepe, Mesut Ozil, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang; Alexandre Lacazette.
Kepa Arrizabalega; Reece James, Antonio Rudiger, Fikayo Tomori, Cesar Azpilicueta; Mason Mount, Mateo Kovacic, N’Golo Kante; Willian, Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Today’s Match Prediction
- Chelsea have lost five of their last seven in the English Premier League.
- Chelsea haven’t kept a clean sheet in each of their last nine matches in all competitions. Arsenal, meanwhile, have kept just one in their last 16.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Arsenal’s last 3 home games in the EPL.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Chelsea’s last 3 games in EPL.
- Arsenal have failed to win 10 of their last 11 matches in EPL.
- Arsenal have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 3 home matches in EPL.
- Arsenal are undefeated in their last 5 home matches against Chelsea in all competitions.
- Chelsea have only lost their final league match in one of the last 16 calendar years, back in 2011.
- Arsenal lost their final league game of 2018, 5-1 against Liverpool. They’ve not lost their last league game in consecutive calendar years since 1994/1995 (vs QPR and Wimbledon).
- Arsenal have never lost a English Premier League home game against Chelsea when they’ve scored the first goal, winning 11 and drawing four of their 15 such games.