English Premere League Match Prediction (EPL 2019): Manchester City vs Manchester United
December 7, 2019,
Etihad Stadium, Manchester
For all the fantasy football geeks out there, we share prediction tips of league matches that will give them a better shot at predicting and winning. Starting with EPL 2019.
Manchester United travel to Etihad Stadium to face their fierce rivals Manchester City in the Manchester derby. Though Man Utd have struggled in the Premier League this season, they have been brilliant against the big sides- beating Chelsea and Spurs and holding Arsenal and Liverpool to draws.
Meanwhile, Man City, who returned to form with a 4-1 win at Burnley on Tuesday, are looking for a fourth successive home win and to close the gap on PL leaders Liverpool, who most likely would have opened a 14-point lead over City by the time the derby is placed.
Man City’s performance in EPL 2019:
Man City are set to welcome Ilkay Gundogan back into the starting XI after the German midfielder missed their Premier League win over Burnley in midweek due to a one-game suspension.
It has been reported that full-back Oleksandr Zinchenko may also come back from injury, after recently returning to training, but it is currently unclear whether the Ukrainian is fit enough.
Raheem Sterling avoided a yellow card against Burnley on Tuesday night that would have ruled him out of this weekend’s Manchester derby. Pep Guardiola can also welcome back Ilkay Gundogan from a ban on Saturday.
Look for John Stones and Benjamin Mendy to return to City’s back four but Kyle Walker could keep his place at right-back ahead of Joao Cancelo.
Rodrigo was immense against Burnley and Gundogan may have to settle for a place on the bench upon his return, unless he rotates in for David Silva. Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez are in competition for a starting berth on the right flank.
They are likely to use 4-3-3 formation.
Man United’s performance in EPL 2019:
Paul Pogba is not expected to make his return from injury in Saturday’s Manchester derby. Anthony Martial may also miss out for a second game running due to a muscle injury.
Man Utd at least recovered Scott McTominay against Tottenham in midweek, while Nemanja Matic could also make the matchday squad here.
Luke Shaw or Ashley Young will start at left-back on Saturday, with Brandon Williams expected to settle for a place on the bench for the second game running.
Despite such a sharp turnaround between matches, Solskjaer may only make one change from the starting XI that faced Tottenham.
They are expected to use a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Manchester City vs Manchester United: Predicted Line-up
Ederson; Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fernandinho, Benjamin Mendy; David Silva, Rodrigo, Kevin De Bruyne; Raheem Sterling, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva.
David de Gea; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw; Scott McTominay, Fred; Daniel James, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford; Mason Greenwood.
EPL 2019-20: Manchester City vs Manchester United Prediction
- Man City have won 15 Premier League matches against Man Utd, with 10 of those coming in the last eight years. Only Chelsea have won more against them, with 18.
- Having triumphed 3-1 and 2-0 in last season’s Premier League meetings, Man City can become the first team to beat Man Utd by at least two goals in three consecutive top-flight meetings since Liverpool did so four times in a row between 1978 and 1979.
- Man Utd have only lost one of their last four away league matches against Man City (W2 D1), although that defeat came in this fixture last season.
- Man United are unbeaten in their last five Premier League matches against last season’s top six sides (W2 D3), including all four matches this term. They last went six consecutive such matches without defeat back in March 2016 under Louis van Gaal.
- Marcus Rashford has 12 goals in his last 13 for club and country and is likely to score again, given he has been the standout performer against the big sides this season.
- Man Utd have kept just two clean sheets in their last 26 in the Premier League and are unlikely to do so on Saturday either.
- Ashley Young has already served a suspension for collecting five yellow cards in the PL this season and odds are he will get booked. He should have been sent off at the Etihad the season before last, too.
- Manchester United claimed an impressive 2-1 victory against Tottenham Hotspur in midweek but are seeking just their second away win.
- Kevin De Bruyne failed to score or set up a goal in the last game, against Burnley. However, expect him to at least add to his tally of 9 assists.